format of comments

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

format of comments Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:50 pm • by soundframes
Hi,

First, I want to say hi. I'm new with hazel (bought it 3 days ago) and I absolutely love it.

I let hazel sort my files according to rules on spotlight comments (tags). I'm doing the tags with Leap. Works very smooth but: Leap formats the comments with a "&"-sign before each tag. so if I tag a file with "cooking", Leap creates a spotlight comment entry like this: "&cooking"

Now, if I define a hazel rule "comment" "contains" "cooking", it doesn't match the file so I gotta define the rule "comment" "contains" "&cooking".
Works fine so far but how can I tell hazel that it should accept the tag without the & as well (in case I wanna tag with another app)? What can I do so I don't have to rewrite all my rules in case I wanna stop using Leap some day?

It's about to getting quite a lot of rules...:-)

Thanks,

V
soundframes

Re: format of comments Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:41 pm • by blodwyn
If you decide to move from Leap to another tagging application, you will should find them able to support the '&' prefix. The '&' is supported by (at least) FileSpot, Eagle Filer, Quicksilver, HoudahSpot, and TagBot.
blodwyn

Re: format of comments Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:39 am • by Mr_Noodle
soundframes wrote:Now, if I define a hazel rule "comment" "contains" "cooking", it doesn't match the file so I gotta define the rule "comment" "contains" "&cooking".

I'd think it should work for both cases. Seems like a bug. I'll look into it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: format of comments Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:43 am • by soundframes
blodwyn wrote:If you decide to move from Leap to another tagging application, you will should find them able to support the '&' prefix. The '&' is supported by (at least) FileSpot, Eagle Filer, Quicksilver, HoudahSpot, and TagBot.

Alright, don't know much about spotlight tags. Is there a point to use the &? Do you know for what reasons it is put there?

blodwyn wrote:I'd think it should work for both cases. Seems like a bug. I'll look into it.

Great. Would be nice if you could post it here when you find out. Doesn't matter when you fix it I'd just like to know if it is a bug that will be fixed someday or if it works the way it should so I can plan my rules according to what is to come:-)

Thanks to you both!

V
soundframes

Re: format of comments Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:22 pm • by blodwyn
soundframes wrote:
blodwyn wrote:If you decide to move from Leap to another tagging application, you will should find them able to support the '&' prefix. The '&' is supported by (at least) FileSpot, Eagle Filer, Quicksilver, HoudahSpot, and TagBot.

Alright, don't know much about spotlight tags. Is there a point to use the &? Do you know for what reasons it is put there?

For example: Spotlight comment = "Example" (without the quotes). A Spotlight search will find all files with "Example" in the comments, and every indexable file that has "Example" anywhere in the file content. Adding the "&" makes it unique enough that you don't get unwanted results.
blodwyn

Re: format of comments Thu May 01, 2008 7:44 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Did a quick test and I can't replicate this. I just did a quick rule with "Comment contains foobar" and added "&foobar" as a comment on the file and it matched. Am I missing something here?

How does it look when you do a preview?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: format of comments Tue May 06, 2008 8:02 am • by soundframes
blodwyn wrote:For example: Spotlight comment = "Example" (without the quotes). A Spotlight search will find all files with "Example" in the comments, and every indexable file that has "Example" anywhere in the file content. Adding the "&" makes it unique enough that you don't get unwanted results.

Thanks for putting light on this for me:-)

Mr_Noodle wrote:Did a quick test and I can't replicate this. I just did a quick rule with "Comment contains foobar" and added "&foobar" as a comment on the file and it matched. Am I missing something here?

How does it look when you do a preview?

Actually, I tried it again and it works now the way it should. Sorry for the fuzz, I really tried a lot before asking, probably I messed seomthing up with another rule containing a "last matched" condition. Anyway, everything works as it is supposed to. Thanks for help to you two.

Hazel is just great, automatically removed/sorted 80% of my cluttered files on the desktop. Even got me to downloading new nice desktop background pictures as I can finally see them now ;-)

V
soundframes

Re: format of comments Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for getting back to me on that. I can clear that bug out of the db now.

I should look into getting kickbacks from desktop wallpaper makers.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS