Moving Music to an Album and Artist Folder

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Moving Music to an Album and Artist Folder Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:38 am • by Tito
Hi everybody.

Have a new md3 player in my car, it supports an attached usb unit with mp3 files, I use iTunes and I need to recompress and move it to the flash drive, so my question is:

Could be made a rule that read the Album tag and put the files in a folder named with that tag?

After that, could be possible to made another rule than move the new folder to another that matches the Artist tag?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers.
Tito

Tito wrote:Hi everybody.

Have a new md3 player in my car, it supports an attached usb unit with mp3 files, I use iTunes and I need to recompress and move it to the flash drive, so my question is:

Could be made a rule that read the Album tag and put the files in a folder named with that tag?

After that, could be possible to made another rule than move the new folder to another that matches the Artist tag?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers.

Assuming you have tagged the files appropriately in itunes it should be easy.

I would create two rules.

1. add to hazel the high level folder containing all the music you want to move to your flash (are you moving the files or just copying????)
2. first rule should be If kind is folder then run rules on folder contents
3. second rule should be if kind is music then do: first Move to flash drive and second sort into subfolder Authors > Albums

When you choose sort into subfolder and then click on the white space to see the tokens, choose other. Then look for Authors and choose it. Then choose the > token on the main list of tokens. Then choose other again and select the Albums token. That should be it.

FYI if you are copying, just choose copy instead of move.
dhy8386

Re: Moving Music to an Album and Artist Folder Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:40 pm • by Tito
I works!!

Thanks a lot :D

I leave here a link for a Desktop folder version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/430 ... hazelrules
Tito

Normally, I would move this post since you aren't supposed to post questions here (this forum is for providing tips, not asking for them). But since dhy8386 did post the answer here before I got to it, I'll leave this here for now. In the future, though, please look at the sticky posts at the top of the forum as they contain important posts, including telling you what to post and what not to.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Moving Music to an Album and Artist Folder Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:18 pm • by Tito
So sorry, wasn't my intention... :?
Tito

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS