Move files by time instead of date?

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Move files by time instead of date? Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:58 pm • by wlknight
I have a need to be able to move files that are older than 1 hour or 6 hours or 12 hours (or what ever custom set time, etc) . I have checked the options in Hazel and cannot figure out how to do this.

I'm using Hazel in a heavy usage environment. I want to move the files from the desktop to a second HDD after an hour or two of not being in use.

Is this possible?

HELP!

Wayne K.
wlknight

Re: Move files by time instead of date? Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:24 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hi Wayne,

I believe I answered this in email but thought I'd post here for others who may be wondering.

There is the "Date Last Opened" attribute. You can select a file in Finder and do "Get Info" on it to see it. It may or may not be reflective of your definition of "in use". For example, if you load a document into an app, it is "opened" at that point, but if you are viewing it for a while in that app, that is not recorded anywhere even though you consider it "in use".

You can try setting the delay long enough that chances are slim you are still working on the file. An alternative would be a warning system. After, say, 6 hours, color the file red as a warning. If you don't manually clear the label, then some time later, you check if the file is still red and then move it. Requires manual intervention but hopefully that would be uncommon.

So, those are a couple of ways of dealing with it. Let me know if you need more help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS