Productivity Strategy

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Productivity Strategy Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:01 pm • by bobnoxious
After installing leopard I setup a system based on hazel to stay on top of my work and computer. I'm interested to hear how other people are using hazel similarly.

In short, in my system I am using hazel to label files that have been received within the last 24 hours as green, those files which have been in my inbox for more than 24 hours as blue, and those files which have not been attended to and been around for more than 4 days as red.

The green files are basically what comes into my inbox during the day but since I am concentrating on my work at hand I don't want to deal with until tomorrow. The blue files are what I need to focus on for today. And the red ones are things that I need to give priority to.

I set-up some smart folders to quickly see what I need to focus on for the day and also see what I have to plan for tomorrow (based on label color). I have hazel working tirelessly on an inbox folder for everything created on my computer during the day, my email inboxes (~/library/mail/...), and ical folders (~/library/calendars/...). With the quicklook feature on leopard I can quickly go through one smart folder and see my file, emails, and calendar events for today or tomorrow without ever having to leave finder.

I've got a couple other elements in my system, which I can spare you for now, but if anyone is interested I'd be happy to expand.

I love being organized, but I love it even more when someone else does it for me. Thank you Hazel!
bobnoxious

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:46 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for sharing that. I like how you use the Smart Folders and Quick Look to get an overview of the status of everything. Especially with Quick Look being able to be called up with the spacebar, it makes for a nice quick way to zip through items.

Definitely post more if you have more to share.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Productivity Strategy Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:10 am • by nestor
bobnoxious wrote:I set-up some smart folders to quickly see what I need to focus on for the day and also see what I have to plan for tomorrow (based on label color). I have hazel working tirelessly on an inbox folder for everything created on my computer during the day, my email inboxes (~/library/mail/...), and ical folders (~/library/calendars/...). With the quicklook feature on leopard I can quickly go through one smart folder and see my file, emails, and calendar events for today or tomorrow without ever having to leave finder.

Hi Bobnoxious,
I'm interested in your productivity system but haven't understood what kind of hazel rules and smart folders you've set up to have the final result; could you be more "dummies"-friendly?
Thx
Nestor
nestor

Re: Productivity Strategy Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:34 pm • by n8white
yes, elaborate please! i'd love to have some creative ways to use this program.
n8white

Re: Productivity Strategy Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 pm • by gcoghill
Thsi sounds interesting, I wish the original poster would return and share in more detail.
gcoghill

Re: Productivity Strategy Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:38 am • by sjk
gcoghill wrote:I wish the original poster would return and share in more detail.

From bobnoxious's profile:

Last visited: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:37 pm

… so we know he's been lurking around here relatively recently. :)
sjk

Re: Productivity Strategy Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 am • by gcoghill
sjk wrote:
gcoghill wrote:I wish the original poster would return and share in more detail.

From bobnoxious's profile:

Last visited: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:37 pm

… so we know he's been lurking around here relatively recently. :)

Nice find ;)
gcoghill

Re: Productivity Strategy Mon May 30, 2011 8:12 am • by Haydardk
Well i think that it might be done by making a rule where to "MOVE" the "RECENTLY ADDED" or "ADDED IN THE LAST X HOURS" files from Folders
(~/library/mail/...)
(~/library/calendars/...)
and anything else you like to have a focus on to a "SMART FOLDER" where you can also add a rule to delete those files when they are more than 1 day old.
In this way you have a folder with different items (ical and mail ,etc) where you can see them by only clicking on space as quick look items. Hope that i gave u small idea about how it might work ?

nestor wrote:
bobnoxious wrote:I set-up some smart folders to quickly see what I need to focus on for the day and also see what I have to plan for tomorrow (based on label color). I have hazel working tirelessly on an inbox folder for everything created on my computer during the day, my email inboxes (~/library/mail/...), and ical folders (~/library/calendars/...). With the quicklook feature on leopard I can quickly go through one smart folder and see my file, emails, and calendar events for today or tomorrow without ever having to leave finder.

Hi Bobnoxious,
I'm interested in your productivity system but haven't understood what kind of hazel rules and smart folders you've set up to have the final result; could you be more "dummies"-friendly?
Thx
Nestor
Haydardk

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS