Poor Man's 'Download Finished' (aka SDDD)

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Poor Man's 'Download Finished' (aka SDDD) Wed May 08, 2013 12:09 am • by leoofborg
Update: Posted the rule to GitHub (to learn GH) as "Super Dumb Download Done"

https://github.com/leoofborg/SDDD/blob/master/README.md

Hello Folks... first time here, been using Hazel for awhile, you be the judge how useful this is. After kind of missing GrowlSafari, which would Growl when a file download would finish (say, a big file, like a Combo Update), I decided to see if I could abuse Hazel's after reading the post about 'working on a file when it exists':

http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1892&p=7851&hilit=downloads#p7851

So what I did was this rule on the Downloads folder:

---

If ALL of the following FILE OR FOLDER BEING MATCHED:

* DATE LAST MATCHED is BLANK
* DATE ADDED is NOT BLANK
* KIND is not FOLDER (just to be safe, or not notify on unarchived folders)

Do the following actions:

* DISPLAY GROWL NOTIFICATION with pattern ("DING:" FILE "is here at" TIME)
* (anything else)

---

Some things:

1/ I put this at the end of all my other actions that 'fall through' to this one. It still works. "KIND is not FOLDER" also keeps it from firing when I unzip Apps too (as they are bundles = folders).

2/ It seems to work okay with Chrome & Safari. Not so much with Firefox, but there's a FF Extension that does work well called "Growl GNTP" that does work with Firefox 20.x

3/ Instead of using Notification Center on Mountain Lion I have Growl piping to NC.. reason? Because I also use Prowl to send Growl statuses to my iPhone. Start a large download (like a Combo Update), then get a DING when I'm out having a coffee at Starbucks.

Then I can either remote in to the machine and start a task or head home.

The only question I have is... does anyone have a more elegant way of doing this?
leoofborg

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS