Firefox WhereFrom/Source URL Metadata

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Re: Firefox WhereFrom/Source URL Metadata Tue May 28, 2013 4:26 pm • by sjk
Anyone know if having Firefox automatically add com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms metadata to files it downloads (like at least Safari does) is on the developer radar?

Edit: Oh, I found this:

337051 – Firefox for Mac OS X does not write kMDItemWhereFroms metadata attribute to downloaded files (put URLs in "More Info" section)
sjk

Re: Firefox WhereFrom/Source URL Metadata Tue May 28, 2013 4:30 pm • by a_freyer
I doubt that it is not within the request queue, but small features are difficult to get passed through.
a_freyer

Re: Firefox WhereFrom/Source URL Metadata Tue May 28, 2013 4:51 pm • by sjk
Not sure it still works, but here's another method of adding kMDItemWhereFroms metadata using a patched Download Statusbar extension:

Add ‘Where from:’ to Firefox downloads (Mac OS X) « Hmm… Aha…

Doesn't help with adding it to greenery's unzipped files, though.
sjk

Re: Firefox WhereFrom/Source URL Metadata Tue May 28, 2013 4:53 pm • by a_freyer
Yeah, this extension basically does what my hazel script above does. I'm frankly shocked that Firefox is so far behind this particular request.
a_freyer

Re: Firefox WhereFrom/Source URL Metadata Sat May 21, 2016 4:25 pm • by apkawel
a_freyer wrote:Yeah, this extension basically does what my hazel script above does. I'm frankly shocked that Firefox is so far behind this particular request.

I just tried the edited script and it does not work: Where From metadata shows as ", ". Perhaps it needs to be updated for El Capitán?

The link above to the Firefox bug request shows the latest comments on the request, which point out that the request has been pending for 10 years (!) and is still not implemented. Sadly, the Firefox team's failure to implement this standard feature is causing me to consider switching to Safari.
apkawel

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS