Using Transmission with Hazel

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Using Transmission with Hazel Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:16 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Transmission 0.70 just came out. You can grab it here.

For those that don't know, Transmission is a BitTorrent client. Why am I pointing this out? Because it has a new feature where you can keep complete and incomplete downloads separate. What this means is that you can use it with Hazel without Hazel moving files before they are done.

I haven't had time to play with it much but it seems that what you need to do is to make sure incomplete downloads are stored in a different folder. Point Hazel at the folder where (complete) Downloads are kept and you should be good to go.

Report any success or failures with this here if you get a chance.

Enjoy.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I'll do you one better Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:54 am • by macjustice
So, I keep a headless Sawtooth era G4 tower in my closet. I like to imagine that if I were a more capable nerd, I could do all sorts of neat tricks with it, like using it as a home server or whatever. Until then, I use it as my dedicated torrent downloader/spare bandwidth eater.

I used to just use a combination of VNC and file sharing to copy the .torrent files over and open them in Transmission. Then Hazel came along. Now, when I download a file ending in .torrent to my downloads folder on my main computer, a PowerBook, a rule is in place to move it to my "dump on the G4" drop folder. From there, it arrives in the G4's sorting folder, where Hazel opens it in Transmission, then manages the complete/incomplete download folders. Finally, Growl lets me know when the download is complete.

I'd like to figure some way of it transferring the completed download back over, but I need to get around the spotty availability of the lappy on my home network, what with the sleeping and waking and traveling and such. All I need to figure out is how to include an "Is this a good time?" confirmation dialog.[/list]
macjustice

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:42 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Well, you could set up a rule to try and copy it over. If it fails, it will keep re-trying every few minutes though it's unclear what the load would be like on an old machine.

You could also try having Hazel run on the laptop and pull the file from the other machine. Since it's a remote drive, there may be a delay before Hazel reacts and you still have the same issue with the retries but something to think about.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:46 am • by brennan
Has anyone had any luck getting Hazel to import MP3's once downloaded from Transmission?

I have Transmission moving torrent contents from "incomplete_torrents" to "torrent_contents".

I have Hazel running the following rules on "torrent_contents":

1. If Kind is Folder -> Run rules on folder contents

2. If Extension is mp3 -> Import into iTunes...

Seems like it should work, am I missing something?

Thanks for your help,
B
brennan

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:58 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hi,

Could you check the logs and let me know what errors you are finding there? If you are using version 2.0b1 or before (including 1.1.5), use Console.app located in /Applications/Utilities or if you are running 2.0b2 or later, click on the "View Logs" button in the "Info" pane.

Also, if you are running 2.0b, check the rule preview ("Preview Rule Matches" in the cog/gear menu) and see if that matches what you expect.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:17 am • by brennan
Well, using the rule preview, Hazel grabs every item in the parent folder, but doesn't list a "Rule Matched". Also, the log file seems to be empty.... I dunno... I'm running 2.0b2...

Thanks for the help,
Brennan
brennan

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:12 pm • by Mr_Noodle
So, it appears no rules are matching so I'd focus there first. Are there any other rules? Maybe there's another condition on one of the rules that is causing it not to match?

Maybe drop me an email (use the form at http://www.noodlesoft.com/support.html) and we can dig a bit deeper into what's going on (or more accurately, what isn't going on that should be).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:59 pm • by Illegit
I was able to get Hazel to import torrent downloaded music into iTunes. These are the rules I used:

1. If Kind is Folder.
2. Date Added is Within the Last 20 minutes.
3. Import into iTunes.

It's not perfect yet , but it does import the songs. I also have hazel move the files in the completed torrent directory to the trash when done (move to trash is rule 4). There are two issues I need to figure out:

1. I get growl error messages that show up saying certain movie files failed to import. This really isn't an issue because I have other hazel rules to move these movie files.

2. The other issue, and one that I need help figuring out how to fix is that iTunes will often import the songs twice. I have tested it and it seems to only happen when there is a playlist file (.m3u) in the folder being imported. I need a way to either delete these .m3u files before the import takes place OR clean up the iTunes directory that the songs are moved to by removing the duplicate (not exactly duplicate, most songs have 1 as a suffix) songs. I imagine that either of these can be accomplished through automator, hazel, and/or certain scripts.
Illegit

Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:11 am • by Mr_Noodle
It's hard to say exactly what's wrong without seeing the whole ruleset but based on that one rule, I can see that the main problem is that you are matching against folders and not the actual media files. You might want to try "Kind is Music". If the files are in a subfolder of the main folder, then you can use a rule to descend into the subfolder (check the FAQ).

This would explain why you are getting errors for movie files and also why the m3u files are getting imported. You are casting too wide a net and should limit the criteria on the rule to just the files you want. I'm not sure if m3u files get interpreted as Music (Spotlight makes this determination) but if it does, it's easy enough to filter that extension out.

I say try the above changes and let me know how it turns out.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS