Please read if you are experiencing hangs on Catalina

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

If you are experiencing hangs with System Preferences/Hazel on Catalina, and are willing to help diagnose the issue, please help. I am trying to work with Apple to track down the issue but there seems to be a lack of info.

First off, if you can replicate it on demand, please post here with the steps taken.

In addition:

1. Reproduce the problem or wait for the problem to happen again. If an error message appears, leave the error dialog on screen.
2. Capture a screenshot. (The timestamp will show us where in the logs in to look.)
3. As soon as you see the problem happening, hit Shift-Cmd-Ctrl-Opt-period to trigger the sysdiagnose. The screen should flash to indicate it has started.
4. When it is done, Finder will open a window to the location of the log file in /var/tmp/. Attach that file back to us, as well as the screenshot that you took.

Please also capture a System Profile information report from About This Mac and attach that back as well.

Note that I will be forwarding this info to Apple so please keep that in mind.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I am getting hangs. It hasn’t done it a while so I thought it was fixed. Unfortunately it did it again today. I can’t recreate on demand and it doesn’t happen all the time so I suspect it’s conflicting with something else. Just not sure what.
MarkLewis

If you can provide the diagnostics listed above that would be great. I'm forwarding it to Apple so that they can get a handle on it. I've had actually very little sent to me so far so it's been slow going.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I seem to be getting reliable hangs, requiring me to force quit System Preferences in order to regain control.

I experienced it twice today, each time when I duplicated an existing rule and edited it. This rule was date based, so all I was doing was changing the year of the date to 2020 and selecting a new folder to receive the matching items (they are moved).

I will submit the sysdiagnose log, system profile, and time stamp via email.

Hope you can sort this out, as these hangs make it difficult to use Hazel.
margaretamartin

Should we send these to the support email?
bmxdarcy

Yes, though, for the moment, I suggest holding off. The exception is if you are running the latest Catalina beta (10.15.4), in which case, then please send those in.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I can reproduce easily with Catalina 10.15.4 (19E258a)

System Preferences
Hazel
Create a new rule that moves everything older than a week from downloads to a dropbox folder
click the eye icon(show rule status)

Crashes almost every time.
I have also send a support email with requested info

Travis
travisll

I'm repeatedly getting hangs in Catalina 10.15.3, trying to import rules into Hazel on my new Mac. I have a series of folders that all have the same simple rule applied (sort into subfolder by year file was created). Hazel hangs (and one CPU core goes to 100%) after I've imported between 3-5 of these rules, without even making them active.

I need to force quit System Preferences, relaunch Hazel and I can add 3-5 more, and the process repeats.
TheRFMan

margaretamartin wrote:I seem to be getting reliable hangs, requiring me to force quit System Preferences in order to regain control.

I do not know if this will help you, but on my computer I now know I can wait out the hang, control returns to me at 3 minutes. At that point i'm able to use Hazel without another hang until I close the app.

My experience is that I'll have the same 3 minute wait the next time I start the app and get the hang, but the app is usable after those 3 minutes.

Warm regards.
jolipoli

Does it happen if you interact with anything pertaining to tags or color labels?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I just upgraded to 10.15.4 (non-beta).
When I click on the Hazel icon in the System Preferences, a dialog pops up that says Preferences Error, Could not load Hazel preferences pane.

The Hazel icon and menu are still in the menu bar.
mudskip

That is a different issue. Post a new thread under support with output from the logs when you try and load the pane.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:That is a different issue. Post a new thread under support with output from the logs when you try and load the pane.

Sorry for replying here, feel free to delete.
Just wanted to say that i checked again some hours later, and the preference pane loaded normally.
I was thinking maybe it was related to the re-indexing that happens sometimes when updating to new version of macOS [just a guess].
mudskip

I would like to add a plus one for the issue. I am waiting for the system diagnostic to finish running, and then I will email the requested information. Editing rules most commonly trigger the problem. Almost always, if I edit a rule or two Hazel will hang to the point where I have to restart the computer.
burke57

The sysdiagnose file is can be huge (333 MB). How are files loaded here and how are they protected from public access?
Paul99

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS