Date Recognition - A genius shares his wisdom

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Date Recognition - A genius shares his wisdom Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:56 pm • by MrSeagull
So,
I was about to post after being unable to match the date I wanted in my PDF statements.
My statements look like this
There's three dates nestled together and preferably I'd use Due Date but trying to match "Due Date dd/mm/yyyy" wasn't working. I wondered if it was due to the white spaces and tried adding spaces, tried but failed to add tab keystrokes etc. So I eventually settled for just matching the date format with '1st from beginning of document' to see if I could return anything.
What returned was the date at the bottom left of the screenshot after "Payments/Credits" - which was obviously the date of the last payment and not pertinent to this invoice.
So in a moment of sheer genius I brilliantly copied and pasted the date cluster from the invoice header to a text editor hoping that 'Show Invisibles' would show me what was in that white space - if anything.
What it looked like was this
where XXXXXX is the invoice number and YYYYYY is the customer number - the only number that remains the same.
So I was able to, almost magically, create a contents match rule of "dd/mm/yyyy customer_number and viola!
As I said, genius level stuff.

Mr S
MrSeagull

Nice tip, copying the text to a Texteditor and showing invisibles, did not thought of that! Thanks for sharing!
"Behind all the inhuman aspects of automation (...) its real possibilities appear: the genesis of a technological world in which man can finally withdraw from (...) the apparatus of his labor – in order to experiment freely with it." /Marcuse
Robert

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS