Tag via Content 10th match, f. ex. academic PDFs

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

I just had an aaaaaahhh experience with Hazel. I love this app.

I have a lot of academic pdfs: books and articles of all sorts mainly philosophy. Now I wanted to tag all PDFs which are related to Hegel. So I could use the name of the pdf to execute Hazel tagging the file with "Hegel".
But there are a lot of books which do not contain the name "Hegel" in the title but have valuable passages about the german Philosopher: So one could "content match" within the OCRed PDF and look for "Hegel".
BUT: most of my books on philosophy mention Hegel once or twice within their texts, especially in the endnotes.

Solution: Content match the 10th time "Hegel" is mentioned within a PDF. So I get only the PDFs tagged where "Hegel" is at least mentioned 10 times. Of course you can adjust the count on which the rule hits – for now that works pretty well for me.
"Behind all the inhuman aspects of automation (...) its real possibilities appear: the genesis of a technological world in which man can finally withdraw from (...) the apparatus of his labor – in order to experiment freely with it." /Marcuse
Robert

Like you, I have a lot of academic PDFs as well (mostly in literature, criticism & theory, and philosophy) and have been thinking about how Hazel can help me improve my organization of them. So far, I've mostly relied on a simple folder system (organized by thinker or field/sub-field) rather than tags or color labels, but I'll definitely look into tagging based on the rule you described.
Alex94

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS