Automatic filing and renaming of scanned documents

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hi,

I have updated my paperless office process where now most of my scans are automatically filed and renamed using a combination of Hazel rules and workflows. Basically it looks for certain content in the OCRed documents and files according to rules that relate to the heiracheral folder structure I utilise. Additional rules then rename the files according to the file path of the folder structure.

More details can be found at http://www.documentsnap.com/forum/share-your-paperless-workflow/automate-via-hazel/ or my blog at http://wannabgeek.com which includes a video of the process at work.

Hope it is of use to you.
noodle1965
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:37 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Thanks so much for the POST ! i will check the video now and give you a feedback
Haydardk
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 2:31 am

Cool. I'm currently traveling (doing my yearly WWDC trip) but I'll check out the video in the next couple days. Thanks for doing this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8235
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:30 am
Location: New York City

Links are down.
Moeri
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:46 am

noodle1965 wrote:Hi,

I have updated my paperless office process where now most of my scans are automatically filed and renamed using a combination of Hazel rules and workflows. Basically it looks for certain content in the OCRed documents and files according to rules that relate to the heiracheral folder structure I utilise. Additional rules then rename the files according to the file path of the folder structure.

More details can be found at http://www.documentsnap.com/forum/share-your-paperless-workflow/automate-via-hazel/ or my blog at http://wannabgeek.com which includes a video of the process at work.

Hope it is of use to you.


Mr. Noodle, recognizing that I am 5 years late I am now trying to ratchet up my use of Hazel. Specifically, wanting to use it to verify if PDFs are OCR ready or not. This thread seemed to deal with the subject as well as a few others that I am benefiting from. BUT, if you have easy access to the link (...share-your-paperless-workflow...) above, I would greatly appreciate having access to that wisdom. Count me among your biggest fans. Karl
Karl.Browning
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am

Note that the original poster is noodle1965 and has no official affiliation with Noodlesoft, Hazel or me (Mr_Noodle).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8235
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:30 am
Location: New York City

Karl.Browning wrote:
noodle1965 wrote: if you have easy access to the link (...share-your-paperless-workflow...) above, I would greatly appreciate having access to that wisdom. Count me among your biggest fans. Karl



Hi,

I have uploaded the videos but the process being used is many years and versions old - https://youtu.be/RTllPSqexx0 and https://youtu.be/r7SDfF9HJDw.

My latest process is as follows;

Step 1 - Scan the document and perform OCR (I use the built in Fine Reader with my Scansnap Scanner) and save it to an Intray folder. Rules are then run to rename the File as per the 1st date found within the document, if no date is found the Created date is used. Move to next folder.

I have attached the rules for Step 1http://cl.ly/2m3c0H113h1l, it includes a couple of processes to detect if the PDF is not OCRed and will send the file to PDFPenPro for conversion. I will be updating the Rules to reset the Date to Created Date if the Date found is greater than Today.

Step 2 - Identify keywords within the document and add a Category Tag, i.e. Banking, Motor Vehicle. Move to next folder.
Image

Step 3 - Look for Keywords to add a Name Tag (Person, Property etc). Move to next folder.
Image

Step 4 - Rename file to Date(Name)_Tags_Extension. Move to storage folder (I actually send it to the Devonthink Intray.
Image

I like this process as it allows for searching via the OCRed content & OSX tags and sorting by document date.
noodle1965
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:37 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Mr_Noodle wrote:Note that the original poster is noodle1965 and has no official affiliation with Noodlesoft, Hazel or me (Mr_Noodle).


Oh my. I am truly sorry. I should have seen the difference in name.
Karl.Browning
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am

noodle1965 wrote:
Karl.Browning wrote:
noodle1965 wrote: if you have easy access to the link (...share-your-paperless-workflow...) above, I would greatly appreciate having access to that wisdom. Count me among your biggest fans. Karl



Hi,

I have uploaded the videos but the process being used is many years and versions old - https://youtu.be/RTllPSqexx0 and https://youtu.be/r7SDfF9HJDw.



Thank you. I genuinely appreciate your efforts. These rules and methods are incredibly helpful. I am putting them to use.

In addition to your workflow ideas, I've added steps that selectively converts a PDF to text (via Automator) and that parse the resulting text document to locate the effective date of the document (due date, statement date, etc) via AppleScript. I don't have all of it working just yet, but it is close and your help closes the gap a lot. For the AppleScript step I've had to be specific about which lines contain the dates I want - so it only works for specified documents - a bit analogous to your "1 Category" step in which you identify the applicable documents for processing.

If you have interest in the finished product I will happily post it for sharing.
Best to you,
Karl
Karl.Browning
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am

First of all thank you for sharing your workflows.

Unfortunately I don't why the script to check if a document needs to be OCR'd doesn't work (I mean followning code:
Code: Select all
#! /bin/bash
if ! grep Font "$1"
then
     exit 0
else
     exit 1
fi

)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jk6wl95t6ghw0n/Screenshot%202016-06-02%2015.27.54.png?dl=0

Any idea why?

Thank you
fabio
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:53 am


Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS

cron