How to configure Hazel to mimic desktoday

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

How to configure Hazel to mimic desktoday Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:31 am • by ulti
There's a simple free app in the mac app store that's making the rounds on the blogs called desktoday. It's entire job is to move your files on your desktop into a folder labeled with today's date. Here's the link: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36702/desktoday

I'm fully confident in Hazel being able to do this but what's the easiest way to configure Hazel to accomplish the same thing as desktoday?
ulti

Re: How to configure Hazel to mimic desktoday Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:48 pm • by Mr_Noodle
The main part is pretty straightforward though it appears that the program works manually. I guess the question is when do you want Hazel to do this? As new files appear? You could do something like:

If date added is today and
name does not start with "filed-"
then
sort into subfolder : filed-(date added)

This will sort files as they reach the desktop into a folder starting with the name "filed-" and with the date added tacked onto the end. By default, date added doesn't show the time so it will just be the year-month-day. You can edit the date format to suit your needs.

The reason for prepending "filed-" to the folder name is so that Hazel doesn't take those folders and try and sort them as well. You can achieve this through other means by using a pattern match on the name and not match if it resembles a date.

In addition, you can add rules for Hazel to clean up these dated folders since over time I can only imagine them creating more clutter.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion