OCR - determine if pdf has text layer

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:30 pm • by t2clej
What is the best way to evaluate a large number of pdf files and see which have already undergone OCR?

I use hazel to process pdf files and OCR them but i do not want to run them thru OCR twice.

Thank you.
t2clej

Re: OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:07 am • by Mr_Noodle
There's no standard way to detecting that but search the forums as I believe someone has come up with a script to check whether any fonts are used, which is usually a good indication.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I use Spotlight or Finder to search "contents" for "a" on the basis that the vast majority of documents contains "a" and if pdf has been ocr'd, then Finder contents will find an "a" as text. Is this thinking correct ?
By default, Spotlight searches insides files for text. But using Finder, I search for Kind pdf first, then + to add Contents search for "a" .

I have a Hazel folder - called ScanThis - to scan using Pdfpen and colour file green and purple - so I know which files have text layer. Katie Floyd has a script for this.
SimonBrowneNZ

Re: OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 am • by Mr_Noodle
Possibly. Not sure how reliable that is. The script others are using look for a font directive which usually indicates text content.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm • by gacorrea
SimonBrowneNZ wrote:I use Spotlight or Finder to search "contents" for "a" on the basis that the vast majority of documents contains "a" and if pdf has been ocr'd, then Finder contents will find an "a" as text. Is this thinking correct ?
By default, Spotlight searches insides files for text. But using Finder, I search for Kind pdf first, then + to add Contents search for "a" .

I have a Hazel folder - called ScanThis - to scan using Pdfpen and colour file green and purple - so I know which files have text layer. Katie Floyd has a script for this.

Could you please post the code for how you perfoem the above check? Thanks!
gacorrea

Re: OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:23 pm • by luomat
I use a program called ‘pdftotext’ from https://www.bluem.net/files/pdftotext.dmg

It is abandonware (no longer being developed) but it works for now, and if it stops working in the future, I’ll deal with it then.

The use is very simple:

Code: Select all
pdftotext file.pdf file.txt

then check to see if ‘file.txt’ is just a newline. If it is, that means it wasn’t able to find any text in ‘file.pdf’.

I’ve yet to find a more reliable test.
luomat

Re: OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:50 am • by steelersfan
You may also try Grooper to tackle this particular problem: https://www.bisok.com/grooper-data-capt ... -pass-ocr/ . I have used it for this job several times and have been pretty happy with the results. Good luck!
steelersfan

Re: OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 pm • by Betty35
Steelersfan, thanks, that works!
Betty35

Re: OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:42 am • by Ni€ls
Hi, here is my Hazel rule

If all of the following conditions are met

Kind is PDF
Contents do not contain match a

Do the following to the matched file or folder:
Run AppleScript embedded script
Toggle extension visible
Rename with pattern: name extension
Continue matching rules

embedded script:
tell application "PDFpenPro"
   open theFile as alias
   tell document 1
      ocr
      repeat while performing ocr
         delay 1
      end repeat
      delay 1
      close with saving
   end tell
   quit
end tell

gacorrea wrote:
SimonBrowneNZ wrote:I use Spotlight or Finder to search "contents" for "a" on the basis that the vast majority of documents contains "a" and if pdf has been ocr'd, then Finder contents will find an "a" as text. Is this thinking correct ?

Could you please post the code for how you perfoem the above check? Thanks!
Ni€ls

Re: OCR - determine if pdf has text layer Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:11 pm • by IVG
I have had success with the following shell script to determine if the PDF has been OCR'd it is pretty fast...

#! /bin/bash
if ! grep Font "$1"
then
     exit 0
else
     exit 1
fi
IVG

Return to Open Discussion