Automatic upload to FTP whenever the file is modified

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

I'm trying to automatic upload to ftp whenever file changes in a folder.

I tried different settings but it's not working properly. What will be the rule set for detecting file changes?

Also, how often hazel look for changes. Is it instantly or takes time?
nexgen

Do you need to monitor files in subfolders or just top-level files? In general, you can use a condition like "Date modified is after date last matched" but if the files are in subfolders, you'll need another rule to tell Hazel to go into those. For that case, search the help for "subfolders".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Do you need to monitor files in subfolders or just top-level files? In general, you can use a condition like "Date modified is after date last matched" but if the files are in subfolders, you'll need another rule to tell Hazel to go into those. For that case, search the help for "subfolders".

I need to monitor top level files. I tried "Date modified is after date last matched" and also "Date Modified is changed" but it's not working as expected.

Also, how to mention the file change? I am trying to upload python script and everytime hazel uploads it, it changes the permission of the file.
nexgen

Check out the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Report back with the output from each of the steps there.

As for permissions, do you mean permissions at the source or destination?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

It's working fine now but there's another problem.

I am uploading python script and it needs to have 755 permission. However, when hazel uploads it, it changes the permission to 644. How can I maintain the permission after upload?
nexgen

Assuming you mean the destination here, the permissions are probably the default based on your umask. If you have Hazel replacing an existing file, it wont assume the permissions of the existing file as it is removed first. I'd have to look into the possibility of changing this behavior though unclear whether all file protocols support this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

probably the default based on your umask

Can you please explain this further?

I have tried putting the desired permission on my local computer file but it get changed to 644 after it gets uploaded to ftp.
nexgen

It's something set on the server end. It's on an account by account basis but it determines the default permissions for any files created by that account. Not sure how much control you have over that but something to look into.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion