Easy community sharing of Hazel rules

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Easy community sharing of Hazel rules Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:35 pm • by songcarver
Hi there mr noodle. nice bit of software - very cool.

Something i think which could help Hazel lovers out there, and you at the same time, would be finding a way to let Hazel users easily share their created rules, or 'sets' of created rules. To enable the development of these ideas to really become organic, viiral and fast.

For example, when i started up Hazel, there were a few basic rules you provide, but theres a bunch of cool stuff i bet users do, which would be nice for novice and experienced users to collect.

Then the best of them could be included with each new hazel, and also provide some kind of 'in Hazel online community rules pool collection'

lets call it the 'cleaners corkboard' for lack of a better name.

:-)

There would be a few requirements:
a) very simple (perhaps in-app) uploading and downloading of rules

b) being able to 'package' some rules together - for example i have my files labelled, red, then orange, then non, then green over their untouched 10 days on my desktop. it seems to work well. It does require multiple rules though - and these need to be packaged together

c) Rules need a littl comments section - a single line is not enough space to decribe some rules and/or the way in which they will work.

d) this little 'cleaners corkboard' might need a peer review thing.. something like digg eventually. However, even a manually managed (or unmanaged) thing could work initially.

:) :)

Basically, cross the threshold where sharing becomes so easy that rules start evolving very quickly.

What does everone think?
cherio
Keith
songcarver

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:05 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hi Keith,

Sounds like a great idea. I'll add it to the feature db though at this point it probably is too late to make the next version.

Until then, I encourage people to post their rules and scripts in the Tips forum. I think once some momentum is built up, a solution will start to evolve.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion