Limit to rules Hazel can run?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Limit to rules Hazel can run? Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:37 pm • by JustRed
Is there a limit to how many rules Hazel can run on a single folder?

I ask because Hazel manages my entire digital file cabinet. Based on file name, it moves files from a single folder to the appropriate sub folder.

Thanks!
JustRed

Re: Limit to rules Hazel can run? Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:18 pm • by Mr_Noodle
There is no hard coded limit though I imagine things could get bogged down. What kind of rules are you doing? Many times, I find that these rules can be reduced down by use of patterns. In particular, look up "match patterns" in the help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Limit to rules Hazel can run? Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:12 pm • by JustRed
One rule in my download folder that monitors downloads for my ebills has about 30 conditions in it to move files containing certain names to another folder. (If name contains American Express or AT&T or Charter., etc... then move to folder FileCabinet. From there, I have a rule for each individual biller to sort them into corresponding folders. (if name contains American Express move to folder Amex and sort into folder by date modified).

Since I have about six other rules running in the download folder, I thought it was easier for Hazel rather than have nearly 40 separate rules (one for each ebill). In hindsight, it would have been easier to have the downloads folder contain a rule for each biller, but I can see where the downloads folder might eventually end up with 50, 60 rules or even more!

I'm just looking for ways to make the whole paperless process more simple. So far, I haven't had a problem with what I've done. It's a bit of a pain to remember to modify two rules for any new biller, but that's probably me just being lazy.

I'm wide open to suggestions if there is a better way.
JustRed

Re: Limit to rules Hazel can run? Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 am • by dhy8386
I doubt this will work because i cant imagine there is consistency but...

If the eBill names (lets assume they are PDFs) are the same every time and the only difference between the bill names is the date within the bill, you could run a rule that checks a folder dedicated for eBills for PDF files (this is the only condition) and then sorts into subfolders by <Name>. This will create folders like ATT, Charter, American Express, etc. Then the second part of that rule (after sort into subfolder) is rename file <Name><Extension> <Date Modified>.

That simple of course probably not that simple. Problem with pattern matching on the first part of the rule would be that all bill names would have to be consistent. Although i bet reality is that many of the bills are easy and a few contain random characters beyond the biller name. Of course, again, if all the bills download with the same name then so long as you dont care about the folder name, then the above could work i think.
dhy8386

Re: Limit to rules Hazel can run? Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:57 am • by JustRed
Not a bad thought since they are downloaded as PDFs. They all come in with different names, BUT you did get me to think about the info section of the files as they are downloaded. Hmmm. Maybe they'd all contain the word statement. That'd separate them from any other PDFs in the download folder instantly!

Currently, the workflow is this: download ebill from site, use TextExpander to help name the file (>phc becomes AT&T Cellphone Statement). The biggest manual part is adding the billing statement date, but I can deal with that unless someone has a better idea. Once the ebill has been named, it triggers the rule Move To Filing Cabinet in Hazel. That rule is: if any of the following conditions are met... then, I list each ebill. Hazel then moves the matching PDF files to the encrypted folder Filing Cabinet. From there, there is a separate rule for each ebiller that sorts into prospective folders, and subfolder based on last modified date.

Sure, it's really a one-time setup. I touch two rules for each ebiller. But, if Hazel doesn't really have a limit as to how many rules can run against one subfolder, I could have each ebiller's rule in the Downloads folder itself.

--
off topic slightly - I know, I know. I really should just have my bank manage the pdfs for me so I'm only downloading it from my bank's online bill pay site. In which case, the origin of the downloaded data may be more easily detected. Thanks so much! You've got me thinking in different ways now. MUCH appreciated (and keep the ideas coming).
JustRed

Re: Limit to rules Hazel can run? Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Note that you can also use the source url. I use this myself for my bills and bank statements. You check if it was downloaded from a certain domain, then you can use the domain in the name of the sort folder or renamed file. If you click on the domain token after dragging it into your pattern, you can strip off the www. and .com so that it's just the company name.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion