Amazon Downloader files

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Amazon Downloader files Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:03 am • by thesaint
I'm using the Amazon downloader with a non-admin account and a non-standard iTunes Music location. Because of my nonstandard settings, that crappy app can't import the MP3s into iTunes. I've written a Hazel rule that does this, but there seems to be a small glitch: It does not work for newly downloaded files, the Growl notification says "Could not import file ...". When I select "Run rules now", the file gets imported flawlessly.

Probably the file was not ready when the Amazon Downloader put it there, maybe it copies instead of moving or does other modifications. The solution for this would be to wait some time before importing. Unfortunately I found no option for this: The granularity of the rules is too coarse (no rule like "modification date is older than 10 seconds") and the actions don't contain something like "wait 10 seconds before continuing". Is there any solution for this?

Note that I don't want to copy/move the file, I want to leave it in place an just import it into iTunes when the Downloader has finished.
thesaint

Re: Amazon Downloader files Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:55 pm • by dhy8386
Well the date modified option can be set very granularly. Check the Date Modified "is not in the last" and you can set 1 min, 5 min, 1 hour, etc). In case the modified attribute is not the date you download the file (this happens on many downloads where it retains a date modified other than the download date), you can use the Date Added feature to monitor the folder into which the amazon downloads go into and again use the attribute, "Is not in the last" then set 5 mins or 10 mins - enough time for files to download.

Also, the way you get Hazel to pause before acting is by using something like an embedded shell scrip where the only action is a "sleep 10 or sleep 5" however long you want.
dhy8386

Re: Amazon Downloader files Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:07 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Note that currently, the granularity is more like a couple minutes or so, depending. In 3.0, Hazel will be able to catch changes immediately and be more responsive in this regard.

But yes, dhy8386, you can use dates. Date added is probably the more applicable one here.

Also, you may want to bug Amazon about obeying proper file locking on OS X. It seems many cross platform apps tend to neglect doing this making it impossible for Hazel to detect that the file is busy.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion