Notifications: Alerts vs Banner

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Notifications: Alerts vs Banner Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 pm • by PackDude
There are a few instances where I would like to have Hazel notify me via an Alert instead of a Banner that disappears in a few seconds, possibly before I even have a chance to read it. Most times, if a file has been moved or renamed, the banner is fine, but I have certain rules that require an action on my part or if there is an error with one of my rules, I may not catch the banner in time. Is there a way to set error notifications to Alerts instead of banners and a way to specify within a rule whether you want the notification to be a banner or an alert?
PackDude

Re: Notifications: Alerts vs Banner Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:55 am • by Mr_Noodle
That's settable outside of Hazel in the Notifications pane in System Preferences. Just look for HazelHelper in the list there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Notifications: Alerts vs Banner Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 pm • by gcoghill
I think the original request is similar to what I'd like to see: more control over specific types of notifications.

The original request is asking for only error messages to be displayed as alerts, but the suggestion to change it in System Preferences would make *all* notifications as Alerts, instead of just error notifications. I'd like to do this too.

I'd also like to see the ability to make only my custom notifications be set as Alerts, with all other non-error notifications set to Banners.

Actually, I'd really prefer to be able to specify this in the action, on a per-rule basis.

The ideal situation (for me) would be where general alerts show up as auto-dismissed Banners, error notifications show up as Alerts, and the custom notifications can be set to show up as Alerts or Banners.

The ability to choose between Alerts and Banners for custom notifications on a per-rule basis would be even more ideal.

I'm sure others would have different combos. Would be nice to be able to have more control over how each are displayed.
gcoghill

Re: Notifications: Alerts vs Banner Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 am • by Mr_Noodle
As far as I can tell, the app has no control over that whatsoever. Apple has deemed it that apps have no say in the matter and that it is fully controlled by the user on an app basis so you'll probably need to bug Apple to provide developers with more control over that in the API.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion