Import to Photos as Album - (Sierra)

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Import to Photos as Album - (Sierra) Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:38 pm • by jfisher
Hello,

I was trying to start off basic and just have Hazel watch a folder location for new folders that contain photos I've taken while on vacation and import them into Photos (Sierra). However, I thought it might be nice to append the duration of my trip to folder name. It seems pretty simple but "Import to Photos" only gives me the option to import to "All Photos", "Duplicate Marked Photos" or events that already exist in Photos.

I have my own NAS drive and would like to do the following to keep space free on my phone to take more pictures.

1. Open folder "Travel Photos" in the cloud app and create a new folder called "Nevada" for example.
2. Upload photos I've taken to the appropriate folder.
3. Once I am home and open my computer Hazel would monitor "Travel Photos" for new folders.
4. Hazel would go inside each folder determine when the first and last photo were taken.
5. Hazel would use that information to rename the folder appending the date range to the folder name.: ("Folder Name" - First Date - Last Date)
6. Hazel would then import the folder into Photos creating an album using the name of the folder as its title.
7. Then delete the folder in the monitored folder blah blah blah etc.

Is there something I am missing or is Photos in Sierra not able to import folders as events? I've tried just dragging a small folder into Photos and it just adds them to the "All Photos" option and does not create an album.

Appreciate the help, thanks
jfisher

Re: Import to Photos as Album - (Sierra) Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:11 am • by Mr_Noodle
The Import into Photos action only imports into existing albums. For the logic you need, you'll need to write a script to do that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Import to Photos as Album - (Sierra) Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:12 pm • by jfisher
I have been trying to search and make sense of this but have very little experience with scripting. I have come across a few others dropbox rules they are using but it is not quite what I am after.

Question: Were altitude, lat, lon, location etc in hazel before I install Exiftool? I'm not sure if I only noticed them after I installed Exiftool or not.

If I can use these elements to rename files, why do certain elements just display a blank space? Is that information not included in the exif tag or is there something else I need to do to call them?
jfisher

Re: Import to Photos as Album - (Sierra) Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:08 am • by Mr_Noodle
Those are probably provided by Spotlight. If they turn up blank, that's because Spotlight didn't index those fields, or the fields actually are blank. If you select a file in Finder and do "Get Info", you should be able to see most of the metadata (as indexed by Spotlight) there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion