Organising rules

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Organising rules Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:39 am • by Dave61
I love Hazel and have several dozen rules set up on my laptop and desktop, most of them synchronised (which is a great feature BTW). As my set of rules grows, one thing that I do find myself wishing for is a better way to organise them. I am thinking of some way of grouping them, perhaps by drive, but ideally self-labelled folders or tags so that, for example, I could easily see the rules I use for managing my photos, or my work files, etc.
Dave61

Re: Organising rules Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 am • by Mr_Noodle
The rule ordering affects how they work so any sort of way to organize them that way is a bad idea. First off, I would look into consolidating your rules if possible. Use pattern matching, for example. Otherwise, you can use the rule search feature to quickly filter rules as needed.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Organising rules Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 pm • by Dave61
I didn't express myself well, sorry. I meant organising the list of folders in the left hand panel.
Dave61

Re: Organising rules Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:01 am • by Mr_Noodle
That might be more doable. That said, if multiple folders share rules and are under a common folder, you can instead monitor that common folder and have Hazel go into subfolders. Search the help for "subfolders" for more details on how to do that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Organising rules Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:29 pm • by Dave61
It wouldn't work for me, because I am thinking about rules that span several disks.

For example, I have a couple of rules that manage photos on my laptop HD, then there are rules that apply to my main photos library on an external drive, plus a backup on another drive. What would be helpful is to focus on a "rule group" that has all my photo rules, or another that has all my "work rules", or "personal rules". Switching them on/off as a group is the most obvious use, but I think it would also be helpful just to have them all together.
Dave61

Re: Organising rules Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:18 am • by Mr_Noodle
Again, are we talking about folders or rules? Also, can you describe why you need to turn them on and off at different points?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion