Sort to folder

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Sort to folder Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:00 pm • by Flynntargart
Hey all,

I ended up buying Hazel, it's been awesome!

Quick question:
I've got a PDF OCR rule (per a tips%tricks post on this forum) that sorts PDFs after OCRing them.

They get sorted into a subfolder with the original name then "- YYYY/MM/DD"
The watch folder is PDF Docs, and the sub folders are >YYYY>Month
So the tree looks like this:
~/Documents/PDF Docs/YYYY/Month/

When I download a PDF, odds are good it doesn't need to be OCRed, but I would still like it filed with the rest. So I created a rule on the Downloads folder that was exactly the same as the PDF Docs rule, but without the OCR bit. Then I changed the path in the sub folder sort to /Users/Flynn/Documents/PDF Docs/date created▸date created
Unfortunately, it just creates a folder in the Downloads folder called "/Users/Flynn/Documents/PDF Docs/" then inside that creates the date created(year) and date created(month) folders. :S

Is there a away to set the path of the rule so that it moves the doc to PDF Docs, then sorts it into the year and month folders?

(or, on a side note, if there was a way to suppress that bloody Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 warning that comes up when you try to OCR a document that dan't be OCRed, I'd happily just set the PDFs all to dump into PDF Docs, and then Acrobat and OCR the ones that need it, and silently fail on the PDFs that it can't OCR)

Thanks all :D
Flynntargart

Re: Sort to folder Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:26 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If I understand you correctly, I think you just want to add a move action before the sort action to move it to PDF Docs. Give that a shot (or correct me if I'm misunderstanding the situation).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Sort to folder Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:36 pm • by Flynntargart
Wow... I think it took longer to write my post than to fix this problem... special moment :oops:

Thanks, that worked brilliantly. I really don't know how that wasn't obvious to me...

On a simi-related note, it would be nice to be able to have the OCR rule run on every PDF, but simply quit if Acrobat hit an error. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm using the OCR script here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=595

A way to automatically dismiss this error would be great: Image

Some kind of if message : check box : click "ok"
Flynntargart

Re: Sort to folder Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:17 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I don't know of a good way to do this. You'd have to know that there's a dialog there to manipulate in the first place. I assume you get no dialog if there was no error, right?

Maybe someone more well-versed in AppleScript can chime in here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion