Feature request: Tag / Colour parent folder.

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Dear mr. Noodle,

I have hazel watching my downloads folder. When it sees a folder, it will run the rest of the rules on it and mark it as "Marked for Deeper" (So it won't be sub-traversed again)

In a later Hazel action, I add all mp3's to itunes, and mark (colour) the files as imported, so any following rule (that looks for that colour) will not touch them.

I would like to automatically delete those mp3 folders after I'm done with them after, say, a day.

My question is: how do I discern the contents of folders?
There's lots of other folders in my downloads directory, how do I have hazel treat them differently by their contents? (I'm guessing size won't help, since there could be large songs or small movies, too?)

I'm imagining that, when Hazel is in the subfolder, marking the parent folder (of the mp3's) with a "this folder contains allready imported mp3's" tag, will allow me to delete the folder in a later action.

While on this subject, but less important, it would also be nice if I could have Hazel automatically add the album art that's usually next to the mp3s to the songs in iTunes.

Thanks for making Hazel in the first place, I'm loving it for quite a while now! :)
fruityth1ng

addition: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:55 pm • by fruityth1ng
-how I solved it in the past was:
check for those imported mp3's (marked green in this case)
delete them
and later on delete empty folders (that hadn't been matched in an hour or so)
The problem here is: cover art :) can't really tell if there's a stray jpeg in a folder, or if it's left-behind cover art.
I think marking the parent folder could help out greatly here ;)
fruityth1ng

it looks like the discussion at http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135 has this covered! :)
fruityth1ng

What I can't figure out to do though, is treat the same file differently based on what "kind" of folder it's in.
For instance, I'd like make a picture the icon for the (movie) folder, but not pictures that are album covers..
(My apologies for the seemingly random posts... )
fruityth1ng

It looks like you worked out the main issue. I don't understand your last post though. Could you clarify?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion