Move directly to Folder without Saving bevore

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hi,

i´m testing your programm and i find it´s a very good idea.
I like it but there is some that i want to tell you.

I manage my Files manually. I do that by browsing in the Folder Structure by Hand. When i will save a File then i browse to that folder and save it.

Your Software will do that too because it must be save on Desktop and by Keyword or comments it will be move. Some time will be gone and then the files will be moved. It go not dirctly, must wait some time.

After saving i must do Keyword or comments with Fily Buddy or so.

It is possible to open a windows when i will save my file and in this windows i can put Keywords by Drop Down List, Comments and others.

When is finnished and pull OK the file will be move in the folder as like the command or keyword define.

Michael
michael m.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:23 am • by Mr_Noodle
Hi Michael,

One thing you could try is creating a rule which will run an Applescript or Automator workflow that would bring up a dialog where you can enter the comments or keywords.

The other suggestion (which I mentioned to you before, if you are the same person who emailed me) is to use Default Folder X. It has a feature where you can add a comment to any file you save which Hazel can then use to file it. If you want other fields to be added I suggest asking the author of Default Folder X as I feel a feature like this is more in their realm than mine.

Great suggestion though. Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:48 am • by michael m.
Hi Mr_Noodle

yes i´m the same person that emailed you.
Now i will ask in this forum.

I have tested Folder X. It´s a nice programm but i don´t need all these functions and i dont wan´t pay another 34 $ only for comments by saving.

I think its a very good idea that the function are in Hazel, that will sort automatically the dokuments by saving in one step.

Hazel is a very good software. I like it.
It is real more helpful when comments, keywords and kategory (color flag) included in Hazel.

Thanks Michael
michael m.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:11 pm • by IDontDoWindows
I don't know if you're looking for something like this, but I created a script for Hazel to open the "get info" window for a file and put the cursor into the comments area.

Note that in order for this script to run, you have to check "enable access for assistive devices" in the Universal Access pane of System Preferences.

Code: Select all
my hazelProcessFile(hazelFile)

on hazelProcessFile(hazelFile)
   try
      tell application "Finder"
         activate
         open information window of hazelFile
      end tell
      tell application "System Events"
         repeat 3 times
            keystroke tab
         end repeat
      end tell
   on error
      say "oops"
   end try
end hazelProcessFile
IDontDoWindows

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:26 am • by michael m.
Hi,

thank you very much.
It will be work fine.

Michael
michael m.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:44 pm • by Mr_Noodle
IDontDoWindows,

Great script. If you have any other goodies you'd like to share, I encourage you to post in the Tips forum.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:40 pm • by IDontDoWindows
Yeah. I've been considering that, but haven't posted there because I didn't see too many others doing it, and I was unsure if what I had would be of any use to anyone.

But I've got a few scripts I like and since you've given me a written invitation, I'll pass some along.
IDontDoWindows

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Please post if you have interesting stuff. Few people have posted since the product and the message board are slowly building up steam and it takes a while for people to figure out the full potential of what can be done. Or maybe people are just shy :).

So yes, consider this an invitation.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion