Sync Files to iDisk or other Network Drive with Hazel

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

I recently tried Hazel with the above intentions but I'm beginning to think that I didn't choose quite the right tool for the job. Hazel is pretty powerful but it seems to be one step behind as far as syncing goes...Assuming I've got the hang of it, I don't see a way to make sure that the deletes are removed from the paired folder, instead of ending up with extra files on one side. Am I missing something or, if not, do you guys have any intentions of bringing in a more dedicated sync feature as you're 90% of the way there now? Thanks!
Last edited by smcalabrese on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smcalabrese

I second the request for a sync ability.
Kha

It's on the feature list for possible inclusion though keep in mind that there are full apps that do just this.

Also, you should specify how you want it to sync. Two-way sync is much much more difficult than one way. How would you want it to handle conflicts?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I'd settle for a one-way sync (ie backup)!
smcalabrese

smcalabrese wrote:I'd settle for a one-way sync (ie backup)!

No reason Hazel needs to do that when there's already no shortage of other methods. :)
sjk

The same could be said for a lot of Hazel's other features as well...I just put out a suggestion.
smcalabrese

Suggestions are always welcome though that doesn't mean I'll implement them all. It helps to provide details on exactly how you would use it and also providing clarification when asked.

In this particular case, it's still unclear how conflicts would be dealt with. A conflict would be a case where, if syncing file A to file B, that both files have been modified since the last sync, resulting in some data loss. As Hazel runs in the background, there is the potential for confusion or annoyance having a window pop up every time it runs into a problem like this. Feedback on this type of issue is critical for features like this to be considered.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion