Compare Duplicate Files & Delete First Revision

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

The first part I have no problem with as Hazel can compare byte-by-byte and determine if the files are the same and delete duplicates through the check box in the preference pane.

The problem comes when I know one revision is older/smaller/incomplete in some way - the file checking that Hazel does is then a problem because they ARE different. This makes Hazel duplicate the existing file by append "-1" to the name of the file. :o
I understand this and acknowledge this is what happens because they are fundamentally different, however what I want to achieve is that the newer version is kept and the older version is trashed.

Say I have two files "Home.pdf" and "Home-1.pdf" I want to keep the second revision "Home-1.pdf" and trash "Home.pdf".

Following this I'd like to rename the file to delete the "-1" from the end of the name.

How would I go about doing this?
acuriouslad

How is the "-1" file being created? Is it from Hazel moving the file there and seeing the existing file? If so, you can set the move operation to always overwrite the existing one.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion