NEW tags. and their management

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

NEW tags. and their management Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:21 pm • by bigspud
I'm taking it for granted that a lot of us have a folder designated for EVERYTHING incoming. A dump box. An Inbox. And Hazel takes care of the rest. Sound familiar?
I dont know what you all do from here, but my rules leave my new files there for a couple weeks. Just to have a bit of continuity on finding and dealing with recently created files.

I apply tags and more as they go out. But I cant yet create a rule to apply tags that dont exist yet. Or when the tag is connected to subject matter rather than a file property.

Is there a way to run a rule on the newly created files and prompt for a tag on those? Could hazel ever launch an application to apply tags to new files? then, as they come in, ALL of my curation needs would be sorted. At the moment, unless I pick and find a file and tag it manually, a bunch of files still get shifted before I curate them. and then, being sorted and filed with hazel, they're still kinda lost to me. Out of sight is out of mind.

Does anyone understand what I'm politely requesting?

thanks for hazel. A computer without hazel is a rubbish bin.
bigspud

Re: NEW tags. and their management Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You'll need to write an AppleScript to do that. Writing the actual script is beyond the support I can give but maybe someone else has done something similar already. Or you can search the net at large for a script you can adapt.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: NEW tags. and their management Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:38 pm • by bigspud
Mr_Noodle wrote:You'll need to write an AppleScript to do that. Writing the actual script is beyond the support I can give but maybe someone else has done something similar already. Or you can search the net at large for a script you can adapt.

Thanks Mr Noodle.
applescripting is indeed beyond me. thanks for hearing me out though.
bigspud

Return to Open Discussion