AppSweep/ exclude list.

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

AppSweep/ exclude list. Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:42 pm • by zxspectrum
AppSweep should really get an exclude list!
zxspectrum

Re: AppSweep/ exclude list. Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:32 pm • by sjk
I'm curious why; got any specific example(s) of what you'd like it to exclude?
sjk

Re: AppSweep/ exclude list. Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 pm • by zxspectrum
sjk wrote:I'm curious why; got any specific example(s) of what you'd like it to exclude?

The problem is that some apps are auto updating(sparkle)..so when they trash the old version appsweep is activated. Also, i want to make sure that the apps like safari, mail..will never get affected.
zxspectrum

Re: AppSweep/ exclude list. Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:33 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel usually doesn't trigger unless Sparkle is particularly slow. Is there a certain app that is doing it or is it across the board?

And if you want to prevent an app from being thrown away altogether, you can lock it in Finder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: AppSweep/ exclude list. Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:39 pm • by zxspectrum
If you lock an App it won't update until you unlock it. Regarding the Sparkle thing i will do some testing...

*Anyway, it's a simple function to impanelment and almost all the uninstaller apps got a "safe" list.
zxspectrum

Re: AppSweep/ exclude list. Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:01 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'd like to know what the base problem is as it may be the case of a problematic app more than the need for this function.

As with any feature, I have to weigh whether it's worth cluttering the interface for a function which is may be rarely used (or possibly not even the right solution for the problem). I may consider it for a future version but I'd rather know what the problem is in the first place.

I do know at least one app that uses a modified version of Sparkle that is a bit problematic. If you are seeing this problem with a wider variety of apps, listing those apps would help so I can ascertain what is going on (like maybe they are using a newer version which introduced the problem in which case I'd try and get that fixed with the Sparkle code base).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion