"is not among the"

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Should Hazel include rules listed ahead of "Is Not Among The" when running the rule?

Yes, the current behavior is too broad and moves things I don't want moved.
72%
No, I like the current behavior and am okay with not having an option for retaining or moving the most current file type in a mixed folder of files.
No votes
I don't really understand what would change and what this poll is asking.
28%

Total votes : 18

Re: "is not among the" Fri May 13, 2016 9:40 am • by Mr_Noodle
The other issue is does the order matter? Does "is among the" only apply to conditions before it or do all conditions at its level (and possibly below) apply?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Mon May 16, 2016 3:38 pm • by skillet
Mr_Noodle wrote:The other issue is does the order matter? Does "is among the" only apply to conditions before it or do all conditions at its level (and possibly below) apply?

Currently it is everything that is at its level right? If you nest it you can keep the same behavior.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Tue May 17, 2016 11:56 am • by Mr_Noodle
Well, I pointed out an example before where you'd want to have it also apply to things on a lower level. I'm trying to poke at all the edge cases here as those are things I need to figure out when implementing the feature.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:21 pm • by skillet
Any other edge cases you can think of? Hopefully this can be implemented, I found a not so elegant way to do this in Keyboard Maestro. Not purpose built and it makes my head spin a little.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm definitely considering implementing it. Just need to prioritize it against other issues. This time of year is usually bad as Apple announces the new OS versions so my summer is usually spent fixing issues that arise from that but hopefully I can fit it in at some point.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:15 pm • by skillet
Mr_Noodle wrote:I'm definitely considering implementing it. Just need to prioritize it against other issues. This time of year is usually bad as Apple announces the new OS versions so my summer is usually spent fixing issues that arise from that but hopefully I can fit it in at some point.

Will you post back to here when/if this is implemented? I read through the latest release notes and it doesn't look like anything was added unless I read it wrong.
https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-4-0-3-release-notes

I also just realized that the link is to the wrong release in the forum
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6955

This links to 4.0.2 and not .3
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6955
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:02 am • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the heads up on the links.

Note that this is a difficult change to make. It won't be in a small update, most likely. Chances are it won't be in there until 4.1, at the very earliest, and I don't have a timetable for that yet.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:59 am • by skillet
Mr_Noodle wrote:Note that this is a difficult change to make. It won't be in a small update, most likely. Chances are it won't be in there until 4.1, at the very earliest, and I don't have a timetable for that yet.

I completely understand thanks for even considering it, it will be a very welcome and wonderful feature! Happy programming and thanks for your support and work.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:53 pm • by skillet
Just checking back if this might still be slated for 4.1? Fingers crossed!
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:15 am • by Mr_Noodle
I am putting out a beta soon so you can check then but no promises.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:52 pm • by skillet
Mr_Noodle wrote:I am putting out a beta soon so you can check then but no promises.

Great thanks.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 am • by Mr_Noodle
Now might be a good time to check the beta forums...
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 am • by skillet
Okay that took me a few hours to finally get something that worked. Thankfully though it works and only grabs the .bak files. I was not able to find the nested.

"Existing rules will be converted to preserve the old behavior by putting “is among the” conditions in their own nested conditions. Make sure to edit those rules if you’d like to adopt the new behavior."

I couldn't find that in any of my previous rules and found nothing in the help file about nesting. Could you make an unpolished quicky YouTube video showing this and the new behavior.

So
1) I have a root project folder that Hazel looks at "Cubase Projects"
2) in this folder I have folders for each of the Cubase projects
3) in each of the projects folders I have auto generated .bak files that Cubase creates that I want to have auto moved into folder called "Project File Backups"

So it looks like I have to create two rules at a minimum and that I can't do this with one rule.
Rule 1: Kind is Folder and then at the bottom "Run Rules on the Folder Contents"
Rule 2: If All of the following conditions are met
Extention is .bak
Date created is not in the last 1 minute
Subfolder depth is 1 (I tried having that as the second rule but it infinitely kept going down folders and putting the .bak files in further subfolders called Project File Backups, makes no sense to me why and seems like a glitch).

Do the following: Sort into subfolder with pattern "Project File Backups"

I am not seeing a way to upload the images sorry I didn't post images.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:52 pm • by skillet
Hazel 4.1.4 this seems to be working as I would think it should work. So much simpler to set up and do, thank you for the wonderful changes, I was able to set up a new rule and have this working within 10 minutes. Much better behavior and so very helpful, thanks for the great work!!
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:09 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the report and glad it's working for you. There is one edge case which may not work as expected but I'm guessing that it will almost never turn up.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion