"is not among the"

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Should Hazel include rules listed ahead of "Is Not Among The" when running the rule?

Yes, the current behavior is too broad and moves things I don't want moved.
72%
No, I like the current behavior and am okay with not having an option for retaining or moving the most current file type in a mixed folder of files.
No votes
I don't really understand what would change and what this poll is asking.
28%

Total votes : 18

Re: "is not among the" Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:19 pm • by skillet
Mr_Noodle wrote:There is one edge case which may not work as expected but I'm guessing that it will almost never turn up.

Is that when you are trying to put it at a subfolder depth? I am trying to put it at a subfolder depth of one so I can drop all my projects in there and that doesn't seem to work for me for some reason.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:04 am • by Mr_Noodle
No, it has to do with re-using custom attributes. Can you post more details?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:20 pm • by skillet
I have a parent folder called "-Hazel Current Cubase Mix Folder" in that folder I have each of my project folders, that have my .bak file that I am trying to have Hazel automove into a subfolder in each of the Project folders.

I can email you more pictures offline if it helps.

I have tried having a rule that is on top that is just for Subfolder Depth of 1 and also tried combining it all into one rule and neither seems to work. Everything works fine until I get to the subfolder part which is what I ideally want since I don't want to have a Hazel Folder for every single project, I want to drop project folders into the master Hazel folder.

Just so I am clear what a project folder is this sort of thing is used by dozens if not hundreds of media and other applications where a working file is inside another folder that references several other assets. You could do something like this Pro Tools, Logic, Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc. Basically any app that is not utilizing a folder bundle native to the Mac, like Logic can now do and GarageBand always has done/does.

I'm only using the one rule pictured in this example.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 am • by Mr_Noodle
Note that folders at the top level are at subfolder depth 0. Items in that folder (including other folders) would be a depth 1. In the preview, what folder are you previewing?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:11 am • by skillet
Mr_Noodle wrote:Note that folders at the top level are at subfolder depth 0. Items in that folder (including other folders) would be a depth 1. In the preview, what folder are you previewing?

I noticed that too and was confused by it because the watch folder is the one that has all the folders that are shown in the picture. I set the level to zero and it moved all the files that were at these folders level which is what it should do. All of these folders are in the main Hazel watch folder so the files in them are the ones I previewed and they all showed a green check indicating that they were in a subfolder of level 1.

Also as a side note the .bak files that I am having moved when I duplicated them the "copy" that Apple adds gets added to the end of the file rather than befor the .bak which makes it seem like the OS doesn't really recognize it as being an extension. Hazel handles moving the .bak files just fine though when at the root level as indicated but thought I would throw that out there incase it helps. I can't get .png files and other file types to work on a subfolder level of 1 so I doubt that even helps knowing that.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:45 am • by Mr_Noodle
I can't quite confirm that from your screenshots but one thing I see is that you don't have a subfolder rule, so files at subfolder depth one are never reached. You'll need to add another rule to do that so that files in those folders are even processed.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 pm • by skillet
Mr_Noodle wrote:I can't quite confirm that from your screenshots but one thing I see is that you don't have a subfolder rule, so files at subfolder depth one are never reached. You'll need to add another rule to do that so that files in those folders are even processed.

I'm not sure I know what to try. I have tried to make rule above the other rules that has a "Subfolder Depth" of 1 and then "Run rules on folder contents" but that doesn't work for me either. The subfolder rule it sounds like can't be in the rules with the checking for backup files and that there is only one correct?
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:52 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Not sure if I follow but it might be better if we continue this in email. Could you email in to support and include an export of your rules?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: "is not among the" Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:45 pm • by skillet
Mr_Noodle wrote:Not sure if I follow but it might be better if we continue this in email. Could you email in to support and include an export of your rules?

Sounds good I'll send you an email now, thanks.
skillet

Re: "is not among the" Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:30 pm • by skillet
Thanks for helping me get this it all sorted out, I am so excited to have this working it will help multiple people that complain about how these auto-created files are sorted. Below is an example rule with a working folder watch and the minimum of two rules required to make it work.

Just point to the example folder that is in the zip file using the Hazel rules also included.
http://reference.StudioPrime.com/forums ... xample.zip

Notice that in the example in the "Project 3" there are three files and the files don't continue to sub-sort into folders because of the subfolder depth of 1 rule.

Thank you very much for updating Hazel to be even more intuitive and allowing this behavior to now work!
skillet

Previous

Return to Open Discussion