Prevent Duplication

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Prevent Duplication Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:33 pm • by kwalkerk
How can I have Hazel not perform it's file operations if the target file already exists in the target location? Right now all she seems to do is move/copy the file and add a differentiating number to the file name. I can see how to do this on the straight copy/move actions, but I need to do it on the "sort into subfolder" based on a pattern. The replace action of the straight copy/move would be fine, just don't want to put the file there with a new name.

Thanks
Ken
kwalkerk

Re: Prevent Duplication Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:48 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It's been on the feature list for some time (adding the move/copy options to the rename and sort into subfolder actions). There are issues with cramming the extra UI in there plus, oddly enough, you're one of the few that has requested this. I don't even remember if anyone has asked for it before even though it makes some sense for consistency's sake.

It currently is slated for version 3 which may be some time away. A possible workaround is to add an extra subfolder to your "sort into subfolder" pattern. Like add a "temp" folder at the end. Then, add a regular move action to move it up to the enclosing folder. In that action, you can choose to replace. It's a bit roundabout but I think it might do what you want for now.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Prevent Duplication Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:44 pm • by kwalkerk
Thanks - I'll look at implementing your suggestion.

Great product - very happy

Ken
kwalkerk

Return to Open Discussion