Requests

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Requests Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:09 pm • by moksha
Could you add an action to open files to Hazel? That'd be great for something like downloading a zip file, since you could have Hazel open it, then move it to the Trash.

Also, could you add support for Transmission and OmniWeb downloads, so that when a torrent finishes, you could move it to another folder.
moksha

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:16 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I've thought about this but I held back on putting it in the initial release because it could clash with Safari's "Open safe files after downloading" feature (basically, Hazel and Safari would both race to see who could get to the file first).

The other issue is whether I should have one open action, or a bunch of more specific actions. With one open action, if the user is not careful with their rules, they could end up launching an application. While Mac malware is much less common, it could still be a security hole. If I were to have specific actions, there would be an "unpack archive" action, for instance. It would do nothing if an application somehow matched, it wouldn't get launched. The problem with this is a bunch of actions instead of one.

To make a long story short, I'm definitely thinking about it but am working through the details. Definitely send me more feedback and examples of use as it helps to shape my perceptions of how people use or expect to use it.

I'll look into both Omniweb and Transmission. Hopefully, they have the right hooks there for Hazel to do its work without interfering. If not, then, well, it will be difficult.

Thanks for the feedback.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion