Feature request: Lock and unlock folders.

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Feature request: Lock and unlock folders. Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:04 am • by raneil
Hazel looks as though it's could be very useful for a PDF management project I'm working on. I'm currently testing it using the "Sort into subfolders" action to move PDF files into a subfolder hierarchy based on the file's creation date, like so:

Target Folder --> 2009 --> July --> 21

The PDF files are created on another Mac, then copied into the "Target Folder" over the network. So far, so good. However, I need the destination folder to be "locked" following the move, so that the user does not subsequently delete/move/alter the PDFs. Of course, that would mean that Hazel would have to unlock the destination folder if it already exists, move the file, then lock the folder back again. If the destination folder does not exist and Hazel creates it on the fly, then the folder simply needs to be locked following the move.

For the moment, I've rolled my own solution via AppleScript. However that relegates Hazel to being little more than a trigger mechanism, with my script being responsible for all the heavy lifting, in which case there are lots of other solutions out there. I would like to avoid relying on AppleScript, if possible. Hazel does everything I want it todo except for locking the destination folder.

Thanks!
raneil

Re: Feature request: Lock and unlock folders. Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 pm • by sjk
Your request reminds me of a couple of mine:

unlocking hidden directories and beyond
hiding file extensions

I'm guessing Paul's response would still be about the same now as is was then. At least I don't feel like the only one asking for some "esoteric" feature support in Hazel. :)

PS: You may want to delete your duplicate post, which should be possible unless there are replies.
Last edited by sjk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjk

Re: Feature request: Lock and unlock folders. Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:08 am • by Mr_Noodle
[dupe topic deleted]

I'm not sure who this "Michael" is you are referring to but yes, it is an uncommon feature. I can add it to the feature db if it already isn't there but I'd need to think about it. An alternative would be to use permissions. Have a folder that everyone can read but only one user (who is running Hazel) can write to. Set them up once and don't keep futzing with it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Lock and unlock folders. Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:38 pm • by sjk
Mr_Noodle wrote:I'm not sure who this "Michael" is you are referring to

That would be you, better known as Paul. :oops:

The 'M' in Mr_Noodle still makes me occasionally want to call you Michael. :)
sjk

Return to Open Discussion