Diving deep problem - Help pls -

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Diving deep problem - Help pls - Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:48 pm • by okaypol
This is what I have as a code:

The problem I have with this is that the file is downloaded to "Torrent First" folder

the video file is in a folder, and it doesn't want to sometimes sort into subfolder in the "torrent first" folder (donno why, sometimes it works tho.)

example:

"Torrent First"- folder / "HumansS1E2" - folder / HumansS1E2.mkv

What it does:

1, "Torrent First"- folder / "HumansS1E2" - folder / HumanS1E2.mkv
moves to

"Torrent First"- folder / "Humans" - folder / HumansS1E2.mkv

or

2, "Torrent First"- folder / "HumansS1E2" - folder / HumanS1E2.mkv

moves to

"Torrent First"- folder / "HumanS1E2" - folder / "Humans" - folder / HumanS1E2.mkv

The "2,"-nd option is not "ok" how to make it always go back to the "main folder" and then make it "sort into subfolder"?

Thank you very much! :shock: ?! :?:
okaypol

Re: Diving deep problem - Help pls - Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:41 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Your second rule matches the folder as well as the file. You need to filter the folders out in that case.

Also, a couple of things in your rules which you should clean up:
- In the first rule, the first nested condition doesn't need to be nested. It doesn't make sense having a nested condition for the current file with "all", when it's already under "all". It just makes things confusing.
- In the second rule, you have a nested condition with nothing underneath it. The "Comment" condition is actually part of the nested condition above that (look at the indentation).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Diving deep problem - Help pls - Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:26 pm • by okaypol
Well, thanks for writing~ I see what you mean, 50%

like this?

second rule:

I don't understand "you have a nested condition with nothing underneath it" ? :?:

I add the comment to "Whatever" because I want it to only do the Hazel rule for it once o.o

If no comment, do it, add comment, done./ no more problem with that file.

do you understand?

Mr_Noodle wrote:Your second rule matches the folder as well as the file. You need to filter the folders out in that case.

Also, a couple of things in your rules which you should clean up:
- In the first rule, the first nested condition doesn't need to be nested. It doesn't make sense having a nested condition for the current file with "all", when it's already under "all". It just makes things confusing.
- In the second rule, you have a nested condition with nothing underneath it. The "Comment" condition is actually part of the nested condition above that (look at the indentation).
okaypol

Re: Diving deep problem - Help pls - Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:05 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Your first rule is incorrect. The last nested condition, as I mentioned, has nothing underneath it. The two conditions after it, are at the same level as the nested condition, not underneath it. You need to drag them so they are indented underneath. Look at the difference between it and the second rule.

Also, I think you can get away with just not having the "any of its subfolders" conditions at all. Using "any of its subfolders" still makes Hazel go into those folders and check things so you end up making Hazel do it twice. Once for the condition and once again with "Run rules on folder contents". Might as well just have it always go into folders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Diving deep problem - Help pls - Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:47 pm • by okaypol
Mr_Noodle wrote:Your first rule is incorrect. The last nested condition, as I mentioned, has nothing underneath it. The two conditions after it, are at the same level as the nested condition, not underneath it. You need to drag them so they are indented underneath. Look at the difference between it and the second rule.

Also, I think you can get away with just not having the "any of its subfolders" conditions at all. Using "any of its subfolders" still makes Hazel go into those folders and check things so you end up making Hazel do it twice. Once for the condition and once again with "Run rules on folder contents". Might as well just have it always go into folders.

Hello! I do need the "any of its subfolders" because if the file is in a folder I have to get it out of there somehow and when hazel moves it, then another hazel rule will delete the empty folder automatically. Which one doesn't have anything underneath it? o.o? can you help with visual examples please?

If I tagged the folder blue the script won't run on that folder so no problem with doing things twice, even added the comment rule to make sure it doesn't want to move the file again.

Example:

Torrent downloaded: in folder Torrent first - Blindspot S01E02 - Blindspot S01E02.mkv

takes the Blindspot S01E02.mkv and moves it to main folder which is Torrent first, then moves it into a subfolder.

When Blindspot S01E02 folder is empty it is deleted automatically.

Literally, I download a movie and would like the program to automatically categorise the files. without me even having to bother about it. :D
okaypol

Re: Diving deep problem - Help pls - Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You don't need it for that rule. To delete the empty folder, it's better to check for that than to check for a folder which has something you want in it. Have you tried doing the fixes I suggested before and what happened?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion