Upload to Dropbox

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Upload to Dropbox Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:13 pm • by aussieonyak
Hi I'm a newbie so pardon if its a dumb question. One of my rules on the downloads folder is to get rid of the .dmg files for apps that I have installed. I wish to keep them but not have them taking up valuable space on my hard drive. So I want to get them into Dropbox where I have a ton of space and I can still get the dmg files quickly if I need to re-install an app.

So currently I have set up Hazel to move the dmg files to a dropbox synced folder on my hard-drive and then use a dropbox automator called Wappwolf to monitor that folder in dropbox and then move them to a non-synced folder and then delete the original file.

What would be much simpler would be if I could use Hazel to do it all - so I was trying to use the "upload" action to just take the file from my downloads folder directly to a non-synced folder on dropbox, but cannot figure out how to get it to do this.
So my question is can the upload action be configured to do this? and if not is there another way in Hazel to achieve what I want?
aussieonyak

Re: Upload to Dropbox Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:14 am • by Mr_Noodle
Upload is for network servers using various protocols, like FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, etc. Dropbox appears as a local folder so you can just use the Move action to move files to and from it. Note, though, that moving stuff to Dropbox doesn't save space since it still stores the file locally on your drive.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion