Reorganizing folders of photos

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Reorganizing folders of photos Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:58 pm • by mattpvd
Hi, I'm trying to reorganize my folders of photos where each folder name is currently acting as an album name.

What I'd like to do is nest each album-titled-folder in a folder structure of:
<year>/<month>/<album title>
where <year> and <month> correspond to the date one of the pictures within the folder, <album title>, was taken (not necessarily when the folder was created).

Any thoughts on how I could use Hazel to help with this process?

I keep getting stumped because I want to take action on the folder, <album title>, and use "Sort into subfolder", but the subfolder information would be based on a file within that folder.

Thanks for any tips,
Matt
mattpvd

Re: Reorganizing folders of photos Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:14 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Which picture? Suppose the pictures straddle across multiple months? Also, there's no good way to capture the date of a subfile for use by the folder. You can, though, capture the name of the enclosing folder:
Code: Select all
If (all) are met
    If (all) are met for (the enclosing folder)
        Name matches (• album name)

To get the nested condition, hold down the option key while clicking the + button to create a new condition. Also, •album name is a custom attribute you create. Set it to match (anything). As a result of the above, you can alternatively have the rule match the individual files and sort them that way. Files from the same album which straddle months will still be a problem though.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Reorganizing folders of photos Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:48 pm • by mattpvd
Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so I could make an attribute called "album name" and apply it to the individual jpg files?

Think I could then sort them into a year/month/album folder structure?
mattpvd

Re: Reorganizing folders of photos Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:57 am • by Mr_Noodle
You are capturing the name of the parent folder into album name (there's nothing special about the name of the attribute; you define that yourself). You would then use that in "Sort into subfolder" to file it under a folder with that name. Search the help for "match patterns" for more info.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion