Feature Request: Support Mailboxes in Mail App

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Feature Request: Support Mailboxes in Mail App Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:27 pm • by milliman
Hazel is great for operating on files and folders, but it would also be good to have it work with the OS X Mail app as well. Apple's rules are great for filing and other processing but they operate on newly received messages. It would be great if Hazel could open up a mailbox file and perform a rule on it. For instance, I have a mailbox for all of my forum messages. I would like the messages that are over 2 weeks old deleted. I have similar needs for other mailboxes that I have. For instance if I don't read a message in my "Statements" folder after a week, I want to be alerted. The infrastructure is in Hazel to do this. It seems that you would just need to be able to read and write to the ".mbox" file format Apple uses.
milliman

There's a bit more to it than that. Unless Hazel runs within Mail itself (via the unofficial/"secret" plugin API), it risks corrupting your mailbox. Handling Mail's internal file structure and manipulating it is not a good idea in general.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fly through your email.

We redesigned the inbox to make email light, fast, and mobile-friendly. Quickly swipe messages to your archive or trash and scan entire conversations in a chat-like view. It's a whole new inbox.

Download: mailboxapp.com
mlnviets

Return to Open Discussion