Hazel 3.0 ?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hazel 3.0 ? Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 pm • by hmurchison
Paul

It's been a while since I've seen you write about 3.0. I'm curious to whether you've made the decision to make it Leopard and beyond or not.

My vote is Leopard because the jump from Leopard to Snow Leopard is likely going to be an easier jump than trying to get a Tiger/Leopard 3.0 version
out whilst looking towards supporting Snow Leopard.

Secondly what features in Leopard have you not been able to take advantage of because supporting said features in Tiger would be prohibitively difficult if not
impossible? I'm thinking things like Garbage Collection or supporting more calendar functions.

I don't envy developers who have to make the decision to cut certain OS off. Though I also realize that the person running the 2+ year old OS that wants you to expend
a lot of work backporting features is being no less greedy.

Without breaking any NDA I'd love to know what Leopard features you've had to bypass for backwards compatibiliy that would have made your job easier or Hazel even more functional. Do you see improvements in Snow Leopard that will also give Hazel or any other app you're working on better?
hmurchison

Re: Hazel 3.0 ? Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:32 pm • by sjk
Even if I was still running Tiger I'd have no problem with Hazel 3.0 dropping support for it. Hazel isn't the type of software I think needs to prolong legacy OS support, especially if the next major revision occurs after or soon before Snow Leopard is released.
sjk

Re: Hazel 3.0 ? Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:49 pm • by hmurchison
sjk wrote:Even if I was still running Tiger I'd have no problem with Hazel 3.0 dropping support for it. Hazel isn't the type of software I think needs to prolong legacy OS support, especially if the next major revision occurs after or soon before Snow Leopard is released.

I think I'd support an OS release for 3 years from the date of release. Tiger was released April of 2005 so we're on its 4th Birthday. Intel delivers a new processor architecture every 2 to 2.5 years which includes a process shrink. Computer users today need to realize that companies cannot afford to sit back on slow development cycles. Apple ships a new OS every 18-24 months.

With mobile computing likely to overtake even laptops as the primary source of mobile tech things may even speed up.

I think a single developer today can maintain a single app and have its quality be as good as anything out there. This of course depends on the scope of the app. I think in another couple of OS revisions it'll be possible to maintain two desktop apps and a few iPhone apps with similar overall effort.

It's the only way the money is going to be there IMO. A hit iPhone app/Desktop app will allow you to quit your day job

Progress marches on and those who wish to remain productive keep up.
hmurchison

Re: Hazel 3.0 ? Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:48 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I think it's safe to say at this point that Hazel 3 will require Leopard. Judging from gathered statistics (this is the "Include anonymous system profile" checkbox in the update prefs), it seems that now, an overwhelming number of people are on Leopard now. And yes, there are a few things that I would like to take advantage of in Leopard that current Tiger support is holding back. Note also that version 3 will likely be a paid upgrade as well.

There are issues with timing. First off, I'm still trying to get version 2.3 in beta and then out the door but I'm still awaiting progress on the OpenMeta front (which may or may not be included). After that we'll have to see whether I prioritize Hazel 3 or work on other projects.

As for Snow Leopard, I can't comment. In the end, the users drive this type of thing. If you don't already, check the "Include anonymous system profile" box as that will give me hard statistics on adoption of new OS releases.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel 3.0 ? Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:02 pm • by hmurchison
Mr_Noodle wrote:I think it's safe to say at this point that Hazel 3 will require Leopard. Judging from gathered statistics (this is the "Include anonymous system profile" checkbox in the update prefs), it seems that now, an overwhelming number of people are on Leopard now. And yes, there are a few things that I would like to take advantage of in Leopard that current Tiger support is holding back. Note also that version 3 will likely be a paid upgrade as well.

There are issues with timing. First off, I'm still trying to get version 2.3 in beta and then out the door but I'm still awaiting progress on the OpenMeta front (which may or may not be included). After that we'll have to see whether I prioritize Hazel 3 or work on other projects.

As for Snow Leopard, I can't comment. In the end, the users drive this type of thing. If you don't already, check the "Include anonymous system profile" box as that will give me hard statistics on adoption of new OS releases.

Hmmm I had no idea what that "anon system profile" was beneficial for. I'll check it tonight. My money is in hand and i'll be upgrading the day of the release. Also is there a way to upgrade from a single license to a multi computer license?

Re: Openmeta I'm encouraged that you have been open and fair to OM discussion. Regardless of whether Hazel 3.0 fully supports OM or not I'm using it. In fact I've got some evangelizing to do on Hazel's behalf.
hmurchison

Re: Hazel 3.0 ? Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:55 am • by Mr_Noodle
hmurchison wrote: Also is there a way to upgrade from a single license to a multi computer license?

If you mean a family pack, then yes. Just email me (make sure to email from the address you used to register so I can correlate the license correctly) and I can issue you a coupon code to purchase the family pack for $18 (which is the price differential).

If you are talking about a volume commercial license, then there are discounts that come into play then so definitely drop me a line.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion