Using Hazel to get rid of duplicate files

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Using Hazel to get rid of duplicate files Wed May 13, 2015 5:36 pm • by VictoriaH
I moved a bunch of files into a folder and because of the setup [not sure why but that's not my Q] duplicates were created so that the pdf says xxxxx.pdf and then there's a xxxxx 1.pdf, xxxxx 2.pdf etc. and so on

I tried to create a rule to move those dups to the trash by creating a rule to work on the contents of the folder look for "Name ends with .1pdf" but it didn't work == I know these are dups = I want to delete them but when I run the Rule it doesn't do anything.

Any ideas??
VictoriaH

Re: Using Hazel to get rid of duplicate files Thu May 14, 2015 11:09 am • by Mr_Noodle
Note that the name doesn't include the extension. So either use Name and don't include the extension or use Full Name instead.

If these are actual dupes (contents are the same), then you should consider checking the box for Hazel to do that automatically.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Using Hazel to get rid of duplicate files Thu May 14, 2015 12:28 pm • by VictoriaH
Thank you -- I did try to do it using Name = ends with "1.pdf" etc. I suppose I could just search for "1", "2" and that might catch what I need = I think they are actual dupes, so might try that too = thank you = I generally don't like dupes automatically sent to trash, so don't want those handled automatically - but I'll follow your instructions and try it again.

reporting back: I had not understood the extension was not part of the name, so put in 'Name ends with 1" etc. and that did it just fine = I did check Duplicate Files but that didn't work since each one has a sequential number, thus the need to use the Name ends with formulation. I can keep that Rule and apply it when needed = thanks
VictoriaH

Apologies in advance for bringing this subject up yet again....

I use Gemini to remove duplicates, and have been very happy with it. However, I figured I would try to set up Hazel to at least reduce the amount of duplicates going to my external hard drive but like others I don't seem to be having much luck with it. I think I've read every post on the site now about how it works, but still not sure if this is right or not.

Essentially the work flow is this: hazel moves images from the desktop to an intermediate folder, then after a nominal amount of time, moves them to an external drive and renames them. I have delete duplicates checked at each step. As a test, I copied the same image file to the desktop about 20 times and let Hazel do her thing...all 20 made it to the external drive.

Is that consistent with what you would expect from the bit by bit comparison, or did I jack something else up?

Thanks!

Steve
hazeldrvr

Re: Using Hazel to get rid of duplicate files Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:04 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post the workflow? (or if it's easier, export the rules and email them in to support). Hard to say what's going on without the specifics of how it is set up but on the surface, it seems like it should work.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion