OpenMeta

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Re: OpenMeta Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:42 pm • by hmurchison
This is understandable.

You and others have done as much as you can and requested features that were in the best interests of your clients.
hmurchison

Re: OpenMeta Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:55 pm • by sjk
Aside from possible attitude issues and other disagreements, this is one of the unfortunate consequences of Ironic Software spreading itself increasingly thinly across too many projects that deserve more consistent, focused attention.
sjk

Re: OpenMeta Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:08 pm • by FOOOD
To be honest I don't blame you.
I've been following the conversations/threads between developers on OpenMeta and it's been pretty shocking. I don't think anything anyone says will change the Ironic guys plans.

It seems like everyone is in agreement on what should be done except him. Maybe you and everyone else should branch away and do what you're all in agreement about.
FOOOD

Re: OpenMeta Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the support all.

I've floated the idea of a fork/branch of OpenMeta but that question was ignored (among others). While it is possible to just do our own implementation it would confuse the market and I'd rather have some sign on from OM that it's ok to claim compatibility. Technically speaking, I don't need permission, but I'm not interested in a competition or fight for control or playing PR games. In the end, I just want the right solution for my users.

For now, I need to get my beta out, which is going to be hard since I'm going to be traveling starting tomorrow, eventually arriving in SF for WWDC next week. I'm still pondering the unofficial OM support but hopefully I can squeeze it out before WWDC.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: OpenMeta Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:07 pm • by hmurchison
Unofficial support is fine.

I'm ok with living with the possibility that my tags may disappear. I'll utilize time machine and hope for the best. I think tagging is a lot like many things even if you're forced with redoing things the second draft is always better than the first.
hmurchison

Re: OpenMeta Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:57 pm • by sherkaner
I'll add to those who completely understand your position. I've been watching the thread over on the OM board, and it seems like there might now be starting to be some movement in the right direction. I agree that a fork would be counterproductive in the end -- that goes for Ironic just as much as it does everybody else, of course.
sherkaner

Re: OpenMeta Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:21 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I've added unofficial support in the latest beta for those that like living dangerously. Details in the beta forum.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: OpenMeta Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 pm • by sherkaner
By any chance, is there any progress on working through the OpenMeta difficulties? I'm really eager to start playing with OM in Hazel (even if unofficially), but the latest beta does not actually have unofficial support now, correct?
sherkaner

Re: OpenMeta Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:41 pm • by sjk
You know 2.3.1 was released, superseding the latest beta? I don't if it has the unofficial OM support.
sjk

Re: OpenMeta Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:57 pm • by sherkaner
sjk wrote:You know 2.3.1 was released, superseding the latest beta? I don't if it has the unofficial OM support.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was asking. There was a beta with unofficial support, but I think the 2.3 beta had it removed, so I assume the release version does too (I'm holding off on buying Hazel until OM is in in some form, since that's the feature I need from it).
sherkaner

Re: OpenMeta Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:50 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It's still there. Check out the beta forum as there are instructions there on how to enable it. You need to have OM installed already (in particular, the openmeta commandline tool).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: OpenMeta Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 pm • by sherkaner
Mr_Noodle wrote:It's still there. Check out the beta forum as there are instructions there on how to enable it. You need to have OM installed already (in particular, the openmeta commandline tool).

Oh sweet, thanks!
sherkaner

Previous

Return to Open Discussion