Potential buyer question

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Potential buyer question Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:52 pm • by Gelfand
Hi, I'm interested in Hazel's capabilities and wondered if it would be right for me.

I have a large repository of pdfs, docs and EPUBs in several subfolders (eg Fiction, History, Arts) inside an eBooks folder my Documents folder. I'm using an iOS EPUB reader called Marvin which can retrieve and read EPUBs-only from Dropbox, and because of limited space on my phone and iPad I'd like to put the EPUBs (and only the EPUBs) in the cloud so I can access them when I'm not at home.

I'd like to create subfolders in my Dropbox folder with the same names as in my eBooks folder (again, Fiction, History, Arts, etc) and then make a Hazel action that looks in the original eBooks subfolders and copies (or moves, I haven't decided) the EPUBs (and only the EPUBs) to the equivalent folders in my Dropbox.

I could try to use symbolic links with Dropbox but (a) it would show all the non-EPUBs (and take up tons of Dropbox space I don't necessarily have) and (b) I know people who had problems with that hack, so I was thinking that Hazel might be useful if it can sort out the files and move the right ones.
Gelfand

Re: Potential buyer question Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:54 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Should be doable. Read the sticky article in the Support forums on how to go into subfolders. Also, I suggest downloading and running the trial to make sure it works for you. I'd run it on test files until you can get it working the way you want.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion