Rule based on day of the week

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Rule based on day of the week Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:28 pm • by LucaTNT
First of all, THANKS for Hazel, it's really invaluable to me.

Here's my question: I usually record my university classes with a Sony portable recorder, and then I plug it into my Mac to upload the recordings to Dropbox. Of course Hazel takes care of moving the right files to the right directories and also renames them.
I have folders for each class in the recorder itself, and I have different rules for each folder.

Is it possibile to have Hazel do different things based on which day of the week the file was created? For example, on Tuesdays the professor shows how to solve problems, and I'd like to append something like " (exercises)" at the end of the file name.
I'm trying to avoid having too many folders on the recorder, so I'd really like to act based on the day of the week.
If this is not possibile, I'll have to hack together some bash script to rename files, but that's the last resort.

Again, thanks and greetings from Italy!
LucaTNT

Re: Rule based on day of the week Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:45 pm • by LucaTNT
I GOT IT!

I'm posting the solution here should anybody need it:
I added a group condition (opt+click the plus button) in which I put a "Date Created occurs before 23:59" rule and then in the next field I only checked "Day of week/Tue" (actually it's "mar" in my screenshot since I have my locale set to Italian, it stands for martedì, i.e. Tuesday).

I added the group condition so that I could easily duplicate the rule and negate it (setting it to none instead of all the following) to apply any other day of the week, rather than having to manually click all the other six days of the week (yes, I am THAT lazy, and it's all Hazel's fault. Well, not really.)
LucaTNT

Return to Open Discussion