Feature request: rename folders in list

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Feature request: rename folders in list Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:06 am • by eN0ch
I'd like to be able to optionally give the folders in the "Folders" panel a nickname or something (i.e. a name exclusive to Hazel - whilst not changing the folder's "real" name in Finder).

The specific case I have in mind - which so far is the main thing I use Hazel for - is setting rules to copy .emlx files from ~/Library/Mail/ to ~/Documents/ . Because all the message folders in /Library/Mail are called "Messages", I finish up with a long list of folders I can only distinguish from eachother by manually selecting each one and inspecting the rules applied to them. So I'd like to be able to label individual folders in some way that will allow me to readily recognise their specific context.

So whether that's just a field where I can type whatever nickname I like, or a CM that allows me to allocate a nickname based on another folder in the same path, or ... ?

Any chance? Thanks.
Lance <º))><

iMac 24" 2021 M1 | macOS 14.4.1 | Hazel 5.2.1
eN0ch

Re: Feature request: rename folders in list Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I believe something like this was requested before. I'll say it's not a high priority item but it's under consideration. You can get the full path of the file if you hover over the folder. It's a tad annoying since you have to wait but it's the best you can do right now.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: rename folders in list Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm • by eN0ch
Fair enough, Paul. Not surprised it's not high priority I guess; but appreciate the consideration.

Lance
eN0ch

Return to Open Discussion