Internal unarchive action removing archive

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

I noticed when I used the internal unarchive option it works just fine but deletes the original archive. Is there a way to tell Hazel to not delete the original archive file after running the action?

Thanks in advance, Scott
scottfwalter

There's no option to do that so you'll have to copy the file then unarchive it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Internal unarchive action removing archive Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 am • by ani
I've tried doing what you suggest, by having two sets of rules, one for the source folder that copies the archived files (if they haven't been copied before), and one for the target folder that unarchives new files. This however worked very poorly. I have gazillions of files and it seemed Hazel just scanned and scanned forever, and almost never actually doing anything (from looking in the logs). Sometimes, it copied and unarchived though.

I would very much appreciate it if you could either

a) Show how to use "The Unarchiver" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unarchiver) to unarchive and keep the original files (via shell script, apple script?)

or b) show how to do have a set of rules, for _one_ folder that
1. Dives
2. Copies rar-files to a new folder (that hasn't been copied before)
3. Unarchives files in the new folder

Thank you very much in advance!
ani

You'll have to post (or email) the logs as well as your rules as I can't quite tell what is happening. If you want to use the Unarchiver, you can just use the "Open" action to open the file with it which should unarchive it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion