Feature Request: Warn about broken rules

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Feature Request: Warn about broken rules Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:45 am • by soundframes
Hi,

I moved some folders around on my HD and now some of my rules are broken as hazel doesn't find the folders any more. Not a big deal to fix it, the problem rather is that I have to check all my rules for broken ones.
How about hazel giving a global alert automatically if a rul gets broken so it can be fixed?

best regards,

V
soundframes

Are the folders the destination folders of your rules? If so, it won't detect anything wrong until it actually tries to run the rules, at which point, it will log an error. If you have Growl installed, you can get desktop notifications of these errors as they happen otherwise you can check the logs (go to "Info"->"View Log").

If I am misunderstanding you then maybe if you post more details about your rules or which folders are breaking the rules and what you did with them (delete them, move them, etc.) I can better figure out what's going wrong.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Are the folders the destination folders of your rules? If so, it won't detect anything wrong until it actually tries to run the rules, at which point, it will log an error. If you have Growl installed, you can get desktop notifications of these errors as they happen otherwise you can check the logs (go to "Info"->"View Log").

If I am misunderstanding you then maybe if you post more details about your rules or which folders are breaking the rules and what you did with them (delete them, move them, etc.) I can better figure out what's going wrong.

Well, I had it with some destination folders but they probably weren't matched till I accidently stumbled over them, I tried to find out what I did so they were not found any more but I didn't.

Now I had a case were the folder the rules were supposed to run on weren't found. I think I moved it to another drive, so this could be a reason but I'm not sure.

It's not that important, I just thought it could be cool if hazel could display an error list on demand, showing all directories that cause problems or maybe even automatically notify me if a folder isn't found any more.

Don't know if there's really much need for that.

Thanks and regards,

V
soundframes

Return to Open Discussion