Hazel for Mail Messages?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hazel for Mail Messages? Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:16 pm • by oneblessedguy
Does anybody know of an app that will sort the messages in folders much like Hazel will do it for items in folders?

Specifically I would like to be able to move messages from my work account into a To Do folder and then when it has been in that folder for three days to flag it and then when it has been there for 7 days to move it to a new folder titled Priority.

Anybody seen anything like this? I wish there was a HazelMail.

Thanks!
oneblessedguy

Re: Hazel for Mail Messages? Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:28 pm • by jayhawkbabe
Provided you'd be willing to compromise a little on the "flagged" requirement (see below), I think you can do this either exclusively with three smart mailboxes or with a mail rule and two smart mailboxes. Let me know if this works for your question.
1. Set up either a smart mailbox or a combination mail rule/plain mailbox to catch mail sent to your work address. From your question, I assume you have multiple email accounts being checked by Mail, one of which is your work account, and that you want ALL your work emails to go into the ToDo folder. If you want only some of your work emails to go into the ToDo folder, you will either have to come up with another rule/set of rules or just put the appropriate emails manually into a plain (non-smart) folder called ToDo.
2. For emails aged 3-7 days, I don't know of a way to get mail to apply a flag after the message has been received. (Mail rules are only applied on incoming messages.) However, if you'd settle for a folder called "Attention" (or some name less urgent than "Priority"), you could set up a smart mailbox that catches every mail that meets all the following requirements: (1) it is in the ToDo mailbox; (2) it's date received is NOT in the last 2 days; (3) it's date received IS in the last 6 days; (4) message was not replied to. This will grab all of the mail that is older than three days but is not yet old enough to be declared "Priority". It will purge them once they've been responded to.
3. The "Priority" smart mailbox follows directly from the one above. Set up an appropriately named smart mailbox with the following rules (again this is "all" logic, not "any"): (1) it is in the ToDo mailbox; (2) it's date received is NOT in the last 7 days; (3) message was not replied to. Again, I assume you want replied to emails to be removed from this folder.

That should take care of what you described. The only thing I can see that it doesn't do (that you might want it to do) is remove your "Attention" and "Priority" emails from your "ToDo" mailbox once they've been escalated to this level. However, you're probably not worried about what's in your "ToDo" box if you've got higher priority emails anyway. If you want your "ToDo" box to be automaically emptied of emails once they're answered, you can make it a smart mailbox in step one and add the following criterion: Message was not replied to. If you can't make your "ToDo" box a smart mailbox, you can sort by the column with the "dot" in it periodically and move all the mails that have an arrow next to them (you've responded to these) somewhere else.

If you REALLY want to go high-tech, you can download a $10 application called DockStar (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/dockstar/) that will add labels to your Mail icon showing how many mails are in your Priority and Attention mailboxes.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if ti doesn't answer your question. Cheers!
jayhawkbabe

Re: Hazel for Mail Messages? Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:52 pm • by jayhawkbabe
I just noticed an error upon testing in one of the mailboxes. Mailbox #2 (Priority) should be as follows:
(1) it is in the ToDo mailbox; (2) it's date received is NOT in the last 2 days; (3) it's date received IS in the last 7 days; (4) message was not replied to. This will grab all of the mail that is older than three days but is not yet old enough to be declared "Priority". It will purge them once they've been responded to.

This is because of the way the logic works for date received. (Like a greater than vs. greater than or equal to kind of thing.) Sorry!
jayhawkbabe

Re: Hazel for Mail Messages? Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:51 pm • by oneblessedguy
Thanks for posting that! Wow, you typed a nice explanation. I did find an app that helps, but not one that does exactly what I want. I still think there has to be a market for an app that does what Hazel does (for GTD) but for Mail.

Anyway, I am looking at MailTags. This has a set tickler date that REALLY helps the smart folders do what you are describing.

I am really looking for a program that is as easy to use as Hazel but for Mail. Anyway, thanks again!
oneblessedguy

Return to Open Discussion