Processign a file, dependent upon location?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Sorry, I had trouble coming up with a descriptive title that was short enough to fit.

Im wondering if theres a way to process a file, depending on its location.

I have a folder of work stuff, called Work (User/Documents/Work). Inside work, there are subfolders (e.g., User/Documents/Work/Project 1). Everything inside the work folder is labeled with a Work Label, whether its located in the top-level folder, or in one of the subfolders (User/Documents/Work/Project 1).

Currently, I have a rule that will move anything in my User Folder folder that I give the color Label Work into the top-level work folder. The rule is coupled with the "Run Rules on Folder Contents" command, and works well. So, for example, if I download something that is pertinent to work, and label it Work, Haze will move it from downloads into Work.

The problem is, I don't know how to tell Hazel not to move stuff thats already in Work. So for example, once I enable the rule, Hazel will see that File.Pdf, which is located in User/Documents/Work/Project 1, is labeled Work and will therefore just move it to User/Documents/Work.

Is there a way I can tell hazel to do something like "if I label a file Work, move it into User/Documents/Work, unless it already resides in User/Documents/Work or one of its subfolders"?

Or is there a better way to go about this?
ohshititsjake

Please do not post questions to the Tips forum. The sticky article at the top says that that forum is for providing tips, not asking for them.

If you do not need to process the files in Work, then you can add a condition to the subfolder rule to not go into that folder in the first place. That would probably solve the problem.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Please do not post questions to the Tips forum. The sticky article at the top says that that forum is for providing tips, not asking for them.

If you do not need to process the files in Work, then you can add a condition to the subfolder rule to not go into that folder in the first place. That would probably solve the problem.

Sorry about that, I didn't realize I had clicked on this forum.

How do I tell the subfolder rule not to process that folder?

Also, if its easier I posted this to the correct forum so you can delete this post.

My apologies.
ohshititsjake

As mentioned, you can add conditions to the subfolder rule to not go into certain folders. You'll have to determine what condition makes sense in your case.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion