PDFPenPro the only application that will allow Scripted OCR?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

I used to have an applescript that allowed for OCR within Adobe Acrobat Pro. This was 3 years ago and since i have upgrade my Adobe applications, this script no longer works.

Ive searched the archives and have read comments that AAP no longer allows this ability. Is this correct? If not...does anyone know where there might be a script i can use? Ive also looked at FineReader Pro and also read comments about that program not allowing scripts to auto OCR. Is this also correct?

I have use PDFPen pro about 3 years ago and was not happy with the accuracy it provided. Things may have changed since.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chris.
Chuggett

I use PDFScanner. It doesn't have applescript support, but the author was nice enough to offer an automator action when I emailed him. Its in the app store and @ $15. I use a combination of finder services and hazel to automate the naming of recently scanned documents. For the money, the OCR accuracy is plenty good enough if you ask me.
dhaskew

I'm currently playing around with FineReader Pro and applescript, using GUI scripting. It seems to be doable. I've got something that basically works, though it's not terribly elegant or robust. I'd be happy to share when/if I can produce a more reliable version.
Jacob

I have no idea how well it works, but another alternative to consider is Tesseract which is an open source (and I presume commandline) OCR tool. Probably more rough around the edges but something to consider if you can't find anything else that works for you.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

dhaskew wrote:I use PDFScanner. It doesn't have applescript support, but the author was nice enough to offer an automator action when I emailed him. Its in the app store and @ $15. I use a combination of finder services and hazel to automate the naming of recently scanned documents. For the money, the OCR accuracy is plenty good enough if you ask me.

hey could you tell me how to use automator with pdfscanner??

thanks a lot!
garyleecn

Get the help email address from http://www.pdfscannerapp.com/ and email the guy asking about automator. He was nice enough to give me an automator action to run pdfscanner.
dhaskew

I recently installed PDFScanner 1.9.2, and subsequently contacted the dev, Felix, about issues encountered while working through the UI. He's very responsive.

I'm automating some workflows, currently using Automator Folder Actions, and might in future try Hazel. In any case, Automator's Library | PDF actions include PDFScanner OCR, so PDFPenPro isn't the only app to allow scripted OCR. The functionality is apparently added during PDFScanner installation, and PDFScanner must be installed for PDFScanner OCR to be used.

PDFScanner's Help indicates that it uses the Tesseract OCR engine
lawrences

Return to Open Discussion