Limiting function for search in subfolder

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Limiting function for search in subfolder Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:54 am • by Zettt
Hi

I though it could be a good idea for many people to limit the function "search in subfolders" in some way.

It could be some additional fields to the right where you choose something like:
"Start in folder at level 3"
"Stop in folders at level 5"
or so...

Good idea :?:

Thanks,
Zettt
Zettt
Zettt

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:02 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Interesting idea. I'll have to ponder it.

Just for the record, could you give me specific examples where this would come into play?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:38 am • by Zettt
Sure.

Well, i got a folder here which is called "pending".
Inside that i got a few other folders: "idea", "in preparation", "to wait for", "currently active"

And on the first subfolder of each of them i got some Hazel rules defined which let me know if there are any projects i am not interested anymore.
Let's say i haven't modified something inside "idea" for 4 weeks it's VERY possible that i am not interested in this project anymore and it was just one of those "ideas :roll:".

On the other hand there are maybe some files i haven't worked on for 4 weeks inside "to wait for". And therefore i should email the guy whose answer i am waiting for if he is still interested in his project.

The same goes rules i've set up for the other folders to see if am a lazy dumbass or currently working on something.

To make it short. I do want to to have a Hazel look inside each of that folders (subfolder of pending) but not any further (because there are files/folders inside which do actually belong to a project).
By now i have to drop each folder to hazel and duplicate the same rules to each of them...

Is that clear enough?
Zettt
Zettt

Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:34 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks. I've added it to the feature db. I think the thing is whether this would be too technical for people to grasp or not (though I do realize that the whole descending into folders thing is difficult to grasp as it is). In any case, it's being considered.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:19 am • by Zettt
I got another idea. If people find it too difficult handling specific features, you could think about adding a "geek mode" or something like that.
This way you can add some more advanced features like "search for every file which contains /(bb|[^b]{2})/" :wink: - but i don't have an overview how people in the past have reacted and request for such a feature.

Thanks
Zettt
Zettt

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:15 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'd like to avoid a geek mode but instead try to make more difficult to comprehend features more accessible. At the same time, I don't know if regular expressions are something that can ever be made "easy." Nonetheless, it is something that I am thinking about.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion