Feature request: unix comand execution support

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Feature request: unix comand execution support Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:00 pm • by ehrlich
It would help to dust up my shellscript-directory if Hazel would support direct execution of unix commands without the need to wrap them in an new shellscript.

The entry would be an command string with tags (as in the file rename command)
to be executed with the unix (libc) 'system' command.

this would obsolete 99% of my wrapper-shellscripts.

i would allso love to be able to directly provide some AppleScript instead of creating a stand alone file. (see OmniGraffle for an example of "inline scripts")
ehrlich

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:00 pm • by Mr_Noodle
The ability to add scripts inline is already on the feature list. The added bonus of this is that the rules files can be totally self contained without external references (except to specific destination folders). I've amended the feature in the database to include your suggestion about using tokens in the command.

The shell script action is somewhat of a misnomer in that you can call any executable as long as it takes a single argument of the file being processed. It does not have to be an actual shell script. Not sure if this helps you though.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:25 pm • by IDontDoWindows
Mr_Noodle wrote:...
The shell script action is somewhat of a misnomer in that you can call any executable as long as it takes a single argument of the file being processed. It does not have to be an actual shell script. Not sure if this helps you though.

Are you saying that calling any executable is possible now? If so, how do I do that?
IDontDoWindows

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:41 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You should be able to select any file that has its execute bit set. Do "Run shellscript" and select "Other...". The trick is getting the open dialog to show you the locations of commandline programs since they are mostly in hidden folders.

To go to a specific folder, hit slash ("/") and type in the path. For instance, type in "/usr/bin" and it'll jump there. BTW, this is not Hazel specific. Pretty much any open panel should behave this way.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion