Change Growl notifications

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Change Growl notifications Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:37 pm • by matt
First, thanks for adding Growl notifications. They work great! Very nice to have. I've got a request though for something a little different, not a huge deal but would be nice.

I think it would be very nice if you could change the notification subject which is always "Hazel Alert". For normal on-screen displays it's fine since you get to see the full text in the bubble, but I'm using the MailMe Growl plugin with Hazel to get email notifications for when a movie or TV show has downloaded and is ready to be watched on my xbox. With MailMe, the subject line is the alert.

I can see a couple of lines as a preview but it would be nice to be able to change "Hazel Alert" to something else. No big deal if it can't be done though.

Thanks!
Matt
matt

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:50 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'll think about it though you may also want to contact the authors of MailMe to change it on their end. I see no reason why they couldn't include both the title and message in a mail notification. It's not like email has a size limit.

I have thought about getting rid of the title altogether (requested by another user) though this wouldn't help you as you'd get blank alerts.

There's also the option of editing the title as you do the message now though this would mean cramming more stuff into the UI. Given the limited space, it might not be a good idea.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:08 pm • by matt
Well, MailMe does send both. The title ("Hazel Alert") is the subject line of the email and the body is the body of the email. When I have a bunch of emails they all say "Hazel Alert" and I have to read each individually to see what happened. It's not a big deal if you can't implement it. Basically I just have alerts set up to say "xyz is queued for downloading", "xyz is downloading", "xyz has finished and is moving", "xyz is ready for viewing on the television"

the messages are all useful in case the software hangs for some reason so I don't want to cut down on them, that's all
matt

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:00 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Fair enough. I'm thinking about the Growl title issue but I can't say whether it will get more descriptive than it already is without providing some way to edit it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:05 am • by FOOOD
Yea, I'd really like to be able to remove the 'Hazel Alert' part from Growl messages. None (not many?) of the apps I use with Growl state what app is performing the notification. It's enough to see the hazel icon in there to tell you it's a Hazel action running :)
FOOOD

Return to Open Discussion